Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High Tunnel Workshop - Thursday March 12, 2009

Posted by violet_z6 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 13:09

Join us for a day-long high tunnel workshop at the Missouri State - Mountain Grove Campus on Thursday, March 12!

Dr. Ted Carey of Kansas State University studies season extension using high tunnels research and production. He will present high tunnel basics as well as research results from his work at the Kansas State Horticulture Research and Extension Center at Olathe. Other excellent speakers will address the various crops produced in high tunnels.

Many growers use high tunnels to extend the production season for many different horticultural crops vegetables, cut flowers and even fruit. High tunnels are solar-heated structures, like a giant cold frame, used to extend the traditional growing season at both ends allowing for earlier plant growth in the spring and later plant growth into fall. Typically, no electricity is used in high tunnels to operate fans, vents, heater, etc. Manual ventilation is instead provided through roll-up sidewalls or through the end walls. Other typical components of high tunnels are that they are irrigated via drip irrigation system and crops are grown in the soil that is under the tunnel cover.

Cost for the workshop is $20 which includes lunch and handouts. PLEASE SEND IN REGISTRATION ASAP TO ASSURE LUNCH AND SEATING.

Get the registration form at http://mtngrv.missouristate.edu/commercial/HighTunnel.htm

Or contact:
Pamela Mayer
417-547-7533
Missouri State Fruit Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Road
Mountain Grove, MO 65711-2999

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High Tunnel Workshop - Thursday March 12, 2009

Thanks Violet
I came across some info on growing strawberries in a hoop house. I'm not sure but I think it's basically the same concept. This was in Branson.

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberries in hoop house

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here