Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

lasagna bed

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

I started a lasagna bed last fall for a new flower bed. I think it will be ready come spring.

What I was wondering was if I start another one now for some of my vegetables, will it be ready come spring? Or should I just go ahead a do the raised be method I was planing on using?

I have one area ready but have decided I will need more space since I want to grow more vegetables.

Bonnie

Comments (7)

• ceresone
    15 years ago

You're much younger than me--but I opt for framed raised beds--so I can garden from my wheelchair, if, God Forbid, it ever becomes necessary!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I would do the lasagna method. I did it just before spring last year and then just parted the paper base and mulch, dug my holes and planted. Now it wasn't for seeds, just plants, like roses, and perennials. I also did my new tomato bed the fall before and raised the best tomatoes yet last year.

ceresone, think "no wheel chair; no wheel chair", or cane or walker!

I could easily have done the seeds in the one prepared the fall before, but the other would have been difficult because it hadn't been enough time to break down the sod.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Gardening is so good for you that you may not need the wheelchair I hope, but my mother is 91 doesn't get out at all. I am beginning to think I should start now getting my house ready for old age. Inside bathrooms especially should have easy access and hand holds. If I have to redo my bathroom again, I will get a shower no tub that you can walk into. Also outside I think things can be planted now that can be enjoyed without intensive labor. Sunrooms, decks, raised beds planned now might prevent boredom for people who enjoy outdoors. I did put in a glass door for my mother. She sits there everyday and watches birds. The cat food is in front of the door, so she can see the cats come and go.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The lasagna beds I laid out last fall are for flowers that is where I located it.
    But this new bed I was thinking about starting "now" would be for vegetables only. so some would be from seed but hopefully a lot will be for things I start earlier so small plant.
    ceresone, I may be younger in years but this arthritis has no eyes when it comes to age. I'm already in more pain that I was a year ago. So am trying to think about what would be best if it continues to worsen at this pace.
    Helen it is nice that your mother can at least look out the large window.
    I would not enjoy a retirement home, no big windows and all the rules! Yep they would be calling the little ol' lady police on me real quick. I'd be making a break for the outdoors every chance I had. : )

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

If you got out now and put down a good layer of newspaper and a thick layer of mulch over it,by the end of May your bed should be ready.Do wait until the ice melts!Posy Pet

• ceresone
    15 years ago

I hope the wheelchair gardening is a "myth" LOL--Problem is, my sis is 14 years older than me, I realize she shattered her ankle 2 years ago, and hasnt healed, but she, too, just sits and stares out the window!!
    I want everything organized to where I can still do this forever--If I "cross over" in the garden, then I died happy!My hubby constantly wants me to sit, and not garden, cause he's never liked it-But this is my hobby, my outlet, our food, my life.
    Oh yes, Art. is one of the bad guys, and the trouble with my hands last few years let me know what you mean.. Just remember, for me, if at long last, if it comes to it--I'll get a "Jiffy Scooter" and keep going.
    Gosh, I wish it was garden time, my orders are coming in--I've ordered Horseradish, and Rhubarb too...

• gldno1
    15 years ago

ceresone, speaking of going in the garden.........

I believe it was Rosamunde Pilcher's novel 'Shell Seekers' that the lady did just that! When I read it I told my husband that was a wonderful way to go!

I know age and health may catch up with us and we have no choice, but I will fight it kicking and gardening and milking my cow as long as I can. I have a sis two years younger who got a Scooter Chair a few years back and has been in it ever since...can't walk at all, now in a nursing home. I will stay out of them even if I have to crawl.

I used to have really bad joint problems but glucosamine chondroitin has worked wonders for me. I do have a foot that was crushed in a car wreck in my youth, that rears its ugly head now and then..........but it passes. Then there is the constant dizziness (some days better than others) where I have to be careful with sudden moves or heights, but I pretty much ignore that too. I love aging!

It is a beautiful sunshiny day out today and when it warms up, I plan to take a long walk on the farm.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!