This is the buttercrunch:

The Rudbeckia is up and lots of foxgloves:

Comments (6)

• outdoor-girl
    16 years ago

Is this an invitation to supper? :)

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gld- you better eat the lettuce before it bolts!
    we have poppies, foxglove,lupine, english daises and sweetpeas that are up. i know i can pot up the sweet peas. what about the rest?

william

• gldno1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You can pot up the lupine and foxgloves, the poppies will be tricky to transplant. If they are too thick, you might try just clipping out the extras and leave one or two to a cell. Then you could try to transplant just a few to see. I have lost them when trying to do that. I will just direct broadcast mine I think. They really don't transplant well for me.

• pauln
    16 years ago

I'm finally a member of the light club! I bought some plastic shelving from Home Depot and a couple of 2' double flourscent tube lights. They have grow lights hooked up on a timer and suspended on chains. I already think I need another light. My spare bedroom looks like the light from the Big Bang. Hope it's not too bright at night.

I planted about 200 heirloom tomatoes that I ordered in December. Lots of odd varieties that I know I'll never find at the big box. I'm really excited about the Japanese Black Trifele, and the Andes (large pepper-shaped plum type). I also started some New Mexico peppers and the tried and true Jalapenos. I'm so sick of buying them at the grocery store only to find out some jerk bred the heat out of them! Hey Dude! If we want mild peppers, we'll buy bells or anaheims.

Most of the mader plants will be given away to family and friends. I just don't have enough light and the poor pitiful plants that I try to grow usually get mauled by the raccoons and squirells.

I also started some basil/mint/cilantro. I love basil. It smells like summer. I go through lots making caprese salad (maders/mozz/basil) and I do several batches of pesto sauce. The mint is used in thai and vietnamese foods as well as mojitos (rum/mint/lime/club soda). I never have enough cilantro and use lots in Mexican and Asian foods. The only time I've ever tried to grow it, it bolted right after I planted it. Hope the seedlings will last at least a season.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gldno1- thanks for the info. i am not strong on seeding flowers and will have more questions.

congrats paul. keep those lights as close as possible to your plants.

william

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

william you can pot up the daisies as well. I have every year and I pinch back to have a little shorter and stout plant.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions