Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

camera

helenh
13 years ago

I killed my little camera taking snow pictures in cold weather. I need another. What camera do you have? My little camera cost about $100 and I had a lot of fun with it. I am not patient enough for tricky adjustments and reading of manuals. It would be nice though to take landscape shots over at my mother's place of good enough quality to blow up and mount. I have even thought of paying someone to do that. What kind of camera would be capable of that? I am going to check out Consumer Reports at the library this weekend.

Comments (5)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I got my camera from a vendor on ebay for about $50 and I'm very happy with the quality of pictures. It didn't have very good reviews but you've seen my pictures. It's a pentax optio S45. You can crop any picture into a landscape. Just take a wide angle shot then crop what you want from it.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

The only thing I don't like about it is the battery life but a few NiCa batteries and a charger took care of that problem.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

The December issue of Consumer Reports had a review of Basic Cameras that should be pretty helpful. I haven't seen the article yet, just the heading when I was trying to look it up on the library website. The model numbers of the cameras change so fast, you have to find a current review like that for it to be helpful. Your local library should have it.
    I have a Sony Cyber-Shot that I bought three years ago but the model number isn't available anymore. A camera with the same features would probably be cheaper now. At the time, I had decided to get either a Sony Cyber-Shot or a Cannon Powershot after reading reviews, and the Sony was the one I found on sale. I got it at Best Buy. Actually I bought a Panasonic first and it was defective so I returned it and got the Sony. The Panasonic had good reviews but I didn't want to take a chance on getting another one.

That Home Site has a Photography forum. They should be able to give you some advice on enlarging photos to mount. I think the type of software you use to enlarge the photo makes a difference.

The link below is top rated "point & shoot" cameras at Best Buy. I wonder if any of these models are mentioned in the Best Buy article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Buy top rated Point and Shoots

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, mine is a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ8. One negative is it uses a proprietary battery which is pretty expensive. I bought two....they are rechargeable and they hold the charge a long time.

It has lots of features but the book is so darned complicated for me to understand, I just use a few manual settings.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Helen, my first digital camera was a Vivitar ViviCam 3635, which I bought at Wal-Mart, wildly on sale. It had poor battery life and I finally had to replace it because the battery door wouldn't stay shut. It took very poor close-ups, but I could understand how to operate it.

My last digital is a little Nikon Coolpix 12.0 megapixels and 3.6x zoom. It's a little more complicated and I need my peepers on to see the various switches, etc. It has a huge viewing area, which is good. It takes wonderful close-ups and I have changed the 2 batteries only once. It was about $150 on sale at Target, as I remember.

I enjoy your photos -- hurry up and get back to posting some more!
    Sunny