Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Celery?

Posted by Sunny_Dee 5b KCMO (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 14:15

I have never grown celery before. I was wondering how easy it is to grow from seed in our area? Is it a plant that you prefer to direct seed or transplant?

Is is cost effective to grow it in my garden *organically* vs buying it at the store?

Thanks guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Celery?

SunnyD, I've never tried growing celery-- it seemed such a lot of work, hilling, etc. and I don't think you can preserve it in any way. But I may be wrong. I guess you could can cream of celery soup and maybe freeze it chopped?
A big bunch is $0.98 here and I keep it carefully for awhile, so I don't know if the labor would be worth it -- at least it wouldn't be for me.
Send us photos if you do it and describe, okay? I never say never.
Sunny

o

I tend to agree with you SunnySide. I guess I just wanted some confirmation. Thanks!

o

Well darn I was tempted by some seeds for a RED celery in one of the seed catalogs I was looking through but found this thread and now I'm thinking it would be too challenging for my brown thumb. I just thought it might be fun to grow and maybe a little ornamental. Has anyone tried to grow Red Giant or Red Venture?

o

I've never tried celery from seed. I did plant some celery butts and got a few tiny leaves to throw on salads before the frost took them.

o

Christie I would say go for it, but since I have never seen celery in a garden here or at the farmers' market I'm afraid it might be too hard. I think you are in the planting mood. Pretty soon I will have something growing on the top of my refrigerator, but I am trying to hold off until Feb.

o
snowing here looks like winter

Ann you said you didn't get catalogs. If you go online you can sign up for some. That is what Christie is doing on these cold cloudy days. I recognize the symptoms.

o

lol I'm certainly showing some symptoms. I think it's memory loss mostly. I see the lovely photos in catalogs and I forget all about how weedy my garden was over the summer and about insect damage and things like that. I'm getting a bit foggy on how much work it was to drag the hose around last summer in an effort to keep my plants alive and I've totally forgotten the ones that kicked the bucket or most of them anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here