Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted tall evening primrose plants

Posted by robtwilson72 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 14:17

We just here,and would like to purchase some tall evening primrose plants. we are not able to find any in this area any ideas where we can purchase plants. Thanks Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted tall evening primrose plants

Welcome Bob!
I'm in southwest Missouri and we won't be seeing many plants for sale here until April. I can't recall if I've seen tall evening primrose for sale locally in the past.
What big city/town are you close to? Maybe someone here can give you names of good garden centers to visit.

o

I have seed for the tall yellow primrose. If you cannot find plants email me at webmasteratgohsdotorg and we will work something out. Personally I think they are weeds and rank right up there with johnson grass and morning glories.
My wife planted them from seed they bloomed the second year and she has been pulling them out ever since. Be careful on what you ask for!!

Lee

o

I don't know where, but I can tell you what to ask for:

There are several species of "tall" Oenothera.

Oenothera hookeri

Oenothera biennis is a Eastern NA native and a nice biennial weed.

Oenothera elata hookeri is beautiful but I'm not sure it's hardy for zone 6.

Oenothera fruticosa has dozens of cultivars, all nice and a bit assertive.

Oenothera glazioviana is a favorite.

Good retail garden centers should carry one or more of these. Otherwise, they're available (especially the superior hybrids and cultivars) through several mail-order companies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here