Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cattle Panel for Pole Beans

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 20, 07 at 14:55

It seems that a couple of seasons ago on another forum there was a discussion about using cattle panels to grow things on in the garden.

I did this with pole beans last year and will definitely do it again. I just need more panels.

I think you could raise lettuce inside the hoop....maybe there would be enough sun on the south end. I may give that a try too. It was lovely standing upright in the shade pulling off handfuls of beans.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cattle Panel for Pole Beans

I have never thought of using cattle panels as shown in the picture. I also use cattle panels but I cut the panel into two sections. I drove in t-posts and fastened the panel. I do have one panel left out back that I was wondering what to do with. I may try beans this year with it.
james

o

DH made round tomato cages out of cattle panels
and we also grew cucumbers,minnasota midget cantelopes and i used them for morning glorys.
vickie

o

Cattle panels are fabulous. They're cheap and will last a lifetime. There are many ways to use them...

o

great thread. i really enjoy seeing innovative uses of different material in the garden.

i am planning on using some catttle panels for climbing roses bent in an arch like a hoop house. if i ever finish building all these raised beds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william- in yellville where it was 70 yesterday!

o

Violet, i liked the A frame shape you used. What is the name of those beautiful pink roses? Are they Antique roses?
vickie

o

Violet, I'm impressed by your creativity. I too use them with t-posts in my raised beds.

o

Alas, these are not of my own garden. I have one 16 foot cattle panel cut in half and each half is used as a trellis. Simple.

I have another that I'd like to make an arch out of for melons this year. We'll see. But photos always easier to understand than trying to describe them.

o

Violet, i agree abt pictures explaining more than words can. I can't put up pictures but DD can when she sets her puter up right. She takes after her mom and is a procrastinator.

My only problem with pictures is after looking at the main object I'm going to spot something in a far corner that facsinates me. LOL
vickie

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 15:56

Where does one buy cattle panels. I don't see them at home depot, everything I've seen there has 4" holes or smaller.

o

• Posted by alys Zone 5/6 - MO (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 16:50

You might need to look at a farm supply store. Easy to find in the midwest, but I couldn't say for Portland.

o

Bringing up an old thread. : )
Glenda - Did you grow pole beans on arches again this summer? I'm wondering if you got 16 or 20 foot panels and where. I was trying to picture how tall each would be if they were bent into an arch. I bet there's a math equasion for that. lol
Also - did most of the beans hang down on the underneath side of the arch or were most on the outside?

o

Christie, it is the only way I grow beans; I don't bother with bush beans anymore.

I use the 15' panels and if you make the arch 6 feet wide, it will be tall enough to walk under...that is my technique.

I drive two steel t-posts in first. Then with help place the first panel up next to it, bend it and while it is being held in place on the 6 foot line, drive the second row of steel posts (2). From then on you can use just one post where the panels meet or slightly overlap. I intend to do one for the new garden next year.

o
RE: Cattle Panel for Pole Beans source

I buy them from Race Bros and try to catch them on sale!

o

The picture with the pink roses and the long zig zag trellis is killing me. Nothing I made would be that plumb. I just checked my own windows photo gallery when I added a picture of my friend Santa and it is too painful to look at spring pictures this early. Winter hasn't even started officially. I have been bad - buying hyacinth bulbs on sale - more of them. When will I get them planted? It will have to warm up considerably.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here