Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Crocus showing color

mulberryknob
16 years ago

The warm weather over the weekend brought the crocus up. This morning two yellow crocus are holding their buds above the trace of snow and sleet that fell last night. ANd over the weekend the spring peepers were singing in the pond; the melting snow and warm temps brought them out of hibernation. Signs of Spring make my heart Sing!!

Comments (7)

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

OH how I hope your right. I'm so afraid that this is going to be one of those crazy years for weather. I hope no one will loose any more plants and trees to this weather. I keep hearing the birds sing of a morning. Still no plants up here.
    Bonnie

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I've heard the peepers too. Have to go check my crocus. They're still under leaves. I forget the poor babies every year.
    vickie

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, I know it's not really spring yet, and we can get lots of cold weather yet, but to me crocuses and peepers are the first hints of spring to come. ANd yes, I certainly hope we don't get another hard freeze like last year. I lost most of a 40 ft row of 2 ft tall Super Sugar Snap Peas in April and had to replant. Only got half a normal harvest because the second planting just didn't have enough cool growing time.

• pomonaflower
    16 years ago

I planted hardy pansy in front of the house last fall and a handful of them are still living and blooming. Being from Wisconsin - they have made my heart sing (and our friends back home jealous).

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I don't see any growth on mine....that is one of the spots the dear dog has chosen to scratch and lay on. May not have anything left there!

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I planted 3 tubs of pansies last fall--1 on the north of the house and two on the South side of the yard with nandinas to the north of them. Only one plant survived in the north pot but most of them are still alive in the south. Those and the Hellebore have been standing up perkily during warm spells for a couple months and wilting down when it freezes. I love them, but the crocus coming in late winter are special to me. Today I found 3 stems of early daffs that had stems long enough to bring in the house along with a branch of a flowering quince showing color and a couple branches of forsythia. ANd I saw a wren the other day. I took advantage of the warmish day today to pull winter weeds in a flower bed--nasty henbit, deadnettle and my most hated winter weed, chickweed. (I have a friend that was leaning to garden a few years ago. She showed me her newly constructed raised bed which she had mixed compost into. As I admired it, I saw a chickweed, looking a bit wilted in the middle of it. I said, "It looks really great, except for this nasty thing, and I reached down and pulled it out." "Is that a nasty thing?" she asked. "I thought it was so sweet with it's tiny white flowers that I transplanted it to be a ground cover." "Then it's lucky for you that I came along," I said. "That is a noxious weed and you will learn to hate it" She later admited that I was right.) But I left the wild pansies--Johnny Jumpups, because I love to eat the flowers and it won't be long. Had to weed around the self-seded poppies and larkspurs which are small but coming along.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

My lilac crocus are blooming and my pansies are good too. I forget them and they are close to my side walk. LOL

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?