Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

garden gnomes

helenh
13 years ago

Does anyone have one? I am thinking I need one. I usually go for the natural concrete toad, frogs, turtles and choose dragon and butterfly stakes. I have gazing balls and have cooled down on them because the hail got four and picking up the glass is endless. I my youth I would not have any of this junk in my garden. My mother had concrete chickens, toads, dogs and I never thought they were attractive. Now that she is gone I have her stuff and collect more of my own. It is kind of a celebration of my old ladyhood. I don't really care if it is tacky. My cousins is sweet and kind, the nicest person you could find. She asked me what the blue bottles were for. I have too many pots too.

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Helen, I love that phrase "celebration of my old ladyhood". I may have to steal that one!

If ever we are going to do just what we like, my dear, this is the time!!! I say go for it.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Have you looked on Amazon. I was amazed at all the variety they have.

Another thought....I think we become our mothers as we get older. I have so many of mine's habits now that it is scary.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

I have always hoped I would become my mother in my Celebration of My Old Ladyhood -- she wasn't nearly as flighty as I am, but I can see her in a lot of my philosophy and actions. I just love that phrase as well, Helen!

Can relate on the garden stuff. My frogs are getting out of hand, and I have far too many birdhouses. But/And it pleases me so much to have and acquire, so I don't see any end soon.
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I only have one little garden gnome, but I love my frogs and lizards. They spend all their time on mossy rocks along the dry creek, peeking out among the wildflowers and hanging off trees in the woods. Never have enough!

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

Man do I have STUFF. I am not sure what I am celebrating. I do enjoy the freedom of displaying anything I want. I am not encumbered any more by what people might think as I was when I was young. My immediate neighbors are very kind. And the front yards of neighbors down the street are starting to populate their yards with large pots, certainly the most conservative thing I do out front. Gardens are suppose to be delightful. It is a fine line between delight and appalled. I walk that line.
    Do you suppose gardens are like Toy Story and it all comes to live at night to be back in place in the morning?
    I get my cliches all mixed up too. I thought the saying was, ' A chicken by every pot' and it turned out to be ' A chicken in every cook pot'! How was I to know!
    Helenh buy a camera so we can see your celebration.
    {{gwi:1108310}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Coming to a front yard not so near to yours.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That lizard's tail would not fit in a suit case. That looks like it might be symbolic with some hidden meaning, but I know it is a combination of DH's welding and your painting. My metal lizard that you gave me sometimes scares me when I forget where I put him. That is a bad sign forgetting where you moved your lizard.

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

Speaking of yard ornaments, there is a brown towhee in the vegetable garden that has taken exception to the chromed metal ball. He is really giving it what for. He is back and back again to bump it with his chest and jump on it. I guess not every one like garden ornaments. I wish I could take pictures like gldno1.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

You're all hilarious! Wish everyone lived next door, across the street, down the street -- wouldn't we have FUN? With all our collective stuff, our yards would be so interesting!!
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I have one gnome that was a gift from my brother a couple years ago. His arm is reached up in front of him and he's holding a little bird. He makes me smile because from a distance, he looks like he's flipping people off. lol I don't think it's meant to look that way and I'm sure my brother didn't think so when he bought it. He's my "gnome with an attitude".

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Speaking of "stuff," check out Al Tapla's photos in his post of 2/21 re lush gardens on the Soil & Compost forum -- his gardens are lovely and his stuff, especially the frogs, is adorable. I'm going to use that hanging pitcher idea -- the rest of the thread is great as well.
    Sunny

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I just ran across this cute sleeping gnome at this link to someone who sells at the market at the mall in Spfd.

Here is a link that might be useful: sleeping gnome