Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonlight74

Best Nurseries

moonlight74
15 years ago

Ok, I also plan on planting quite a few flowers this year. So I am wondering where the best nurseries are around Springfield.

I've been to Steinert's and got a couple of rose bushes last year that did amazing!!

Since I'm not starting my tomatoes by seed I want to make sure I get good plants and the kinds I want...I think purple cherokee and beefsteak (or was it big boy?).

Thanks,

Kelli

Comments (15)

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you! I am drooling!!

Now tell me...what can I find at the farmer's market now? or in a couple of weeks?

Kel

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Just click on the link above, it will tell you what you need to know.

*wink*

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did click on the link...but it didn't tell me what is being sold at the winter market...only the dates.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Ah... you'll find meats, honey, jams, jellies, and crafts and you can call Donald Bauer 417-267-2371 to inquire further. The Winter Market continues through April 4 and the regular market starts Saturday, April 11. But really, most people just stop by to see what it's all about. You're sure to find something that will catch your eye. It's the largest Class A Farmers Market in the state of Missouri, meaning that everything sold must be grown or made by the vendors themselves.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Another to add to the list:

Spring Fever Farm‎/Greenhouse
    6080 State HWY 125 N
    Rogersville MO 65740
    (417) 581-0850
    Say Hi to Olee

Myron Royce Gardens
    430 Shady Oaks (Hwy 65 & EE)
    Ozark , MO 65721
    417-443-2648
    Hours: Mon - Sat 9am - 5pm, closed Sun.
    Apr 1 - Nov 1 by appt.

Beautiful gardens and waterfalls. A woodland setting displays “collector” varieties of hosta, ferns, perennials, shrubs and Japanese maples. On the grounds, a complete garden center offers a tremendous selection of unique plants, bird feeders and garden gifts! Located 5 miles south of Ozark at Hwy 65 & EE. Turn west on EE, then immediately left on Shady Oak (Outer Rd.) .7 miles.

• moonlight74
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for that info Violet!

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Kelli - If you visit Hilltop Farm, be sure and check out their display gardens while you're there. They have a lot of hostas planted in their shade gardens but it might be around mid-May or later when they really start looking good. You might want to call and ask them the best time to visit and make sure the display garden is open before you go.

I had forgotten that Myron Royce has display gardens and I haven't been there for a long time. Glad you posted that Violet.

Last year, there was a Family Flowers (I think) set up by the Cardin's in Republic. They have a pretty nice selection.

I discovered Nixa Hardware's plants last summer and was quite impressed. From the road it didn't look like they had a lot but they did and I was glad I stopped.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I forgot, there's an Orscheln's in Republic. They don't have the biggest selection but that's the only place I've ever found salvia 'Black and Blue' around here (for hummingbirds) and they had some really nice hanging baskets for Mother's Day last year. I got one with red verbena for my mom that was huge and full of blooms.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

If any information is outdated, please post updates to this thread.

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks
    44 North School Avenue
    Fayetteville, Arkansas 72702
    (479) 443-6638
    he impressive 86 acre site currently includes seasonal plantings around the sign, an immense meadow where you can spot deer and other wildlife, a scenic lakeside hiking trail, and a self-guided tree identification tour.

C & H Retail Greeenhouse
    South State Hwy PP
    Republic, MO 65738.
    The owner is Cheri Hamilton. She has a Bachelor of Arts in agronomy from Missouri State University. She also has a Masters from the university in Jonesboro, Ark. Cheri started in wholesale business, but she has expanded to include retail sales. She began the current season with 1200 hanging baskets, 6000 four-inch pots of annuals, and 500 perennials. She also has several varieties of vegetable plants. She is open 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. Monday through Saturday, and from 1 to 5 P.M. on Sunday.

College of the Ozarks Arboretum and Greenhouses
    Located East of Edwards Mill
    Point Lookout, MO 65726
    (417) 334-6411
    Includes the Clint McDade orchid collection. Mr. McDade, one of the school's first students, donated the nucleus of the collection, which today numbers more than 7,000 plants. Individual orchids and other houseplants are for sale at the greenhouse.

Compton Gardens
    312 North Main Street
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72712
    (479) 254-3870
    Dr Compton was a noted physician, writer, photographer, founder of the Ozark Society and savior of the Buffalo River. His home and the treasured grounds are now available to the public. Compton Gardens showcases 6.5 acres of native woodland plants, walking trails and prairie. This natural woodlands garden unites plants, wildlife, and people.

Holland Wildflower Farm
    290 O'Neal Ln., P.O. Box 328
    Elkins, AR 72727
    (479) 643-2622
    www.hwildflower.com
    Wildflower seed for projects or gardens. 60+ varieties in packets, ounces, or bulk. Seed mixes and custom blends for naturalizing. All seeds packaged with specific growing instructions.

The Ozark Folk Center
    PO Box 500
    Mountain View, AR 72560
    870-269-3851
    www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
    Located North of Mountain View, AR, There are herb gardens, medicinal gardens and classes on raising herbs.

Ozark Wildflower Company
    HC 70 Box 169,
    Jasper, AR. 72641
    (870) 446-5629
    This nursery is located 5 miles west of Jasper which produces over 400 species of native and nonnative perennials, shrubs and trees. All plants are seed or vegetatively propagated - no wild collecting. Call for an appointment.

Pine Ridge Gardens
    832 Sycamore Road, London, AR 72847
    Phone (479) 293-4359
    pineridgegardens.com
    Call for visiting hours.

Ridgecrest Nursery and Gardens
    3347 Hwy. 64 East
    Wynne, AR 72396
    (870) 238-3763
    Specializes in native southeastern plants, but also have a broad palette of interesting hardy exotics and a few tropicals. If you're "into plants" you'll enjoy a visit to Ridgecrest with 5 acres of container plants and display gardens. Call for hours of operation.

Wayside Park Trail
    East Highway 60
    Mountain View, MO 65548
    (417) 934-2794
    Features an 1800s log cabin, a Frisco railroad caboose, wood sculptures depicting pioneers, and three botanical gardens of native flowers and plants. Says open year-round. Please call before planning a trip.

• dmgray55
    15 years ago

I thought that I had remembered a large nursery just east of Springdale, Ar. I went looking for it a couple of weeks ago when I was in the area and could not find it. Is my memory failing me or was there a large nursery there at one time? Also I have been looking for a Nellie R Stevens Holly. Anyone know where I can get one?

• arktrees
    15 years ago

dmgray,
    I think you may be thinking of "Blooms and More" in Hindsville. I can't really say for certain, but I think it may not be doing very well as a business. First time I went there, had a hugh number of plants, and allot of unusally stuff as well, and then there was the 2007 freeze shortly after, and it's not been the same since.

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Blooms and More
    4739 Highway 412
    Hindsville, AR 72738
    (479) 789-7526

It would be interesting to know what their 2009 status is if someone can let us know.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but it (Blooms and More) was closed and auctioned off about five or six years ago (just in case someone uses thread for reference).

• beth_b_kodiak
    8 years ago

Awesome info. THanks