Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gasconade County, MO

Posted by Elegance108 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 18:31

Hi,
My boyfriend just moved to Gasconade county, MO. He is allowed to plant a small garden at his first floor apartment.

My question - is this area in Ozarks or Midwest as far as the forums go.

Second question - what plants grow well there? This will be primarily for an eating garden with a few flowers

I plant organic and non-gmo.

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gasconade County, MO

I would think Ozark region. What is the closest town to you or how close to Ft Leonard Wood?

o

Between Washington and Rolla.

Thanks!

Diane

o

It doesn't hurt to visit more than one forum. I would think you would want to grow tomatoes and some salad vegetables depending on what you like to eat. You may actually have top soil if you are near a river. Within a county there can be a variety of different conditions so you will just have to see the soil you have to work with. We have been hot and dry here the last two years. I am hoping with the cold weather we have been having, that the weather will be normal this year. Look down the page here to seed starting and find Glenda's calendar from the Extension. I have also linked it but read the thread below too.
The extension office doesn't list open pollinated tomatoes. Go to an Atwood's in your area or feed store and they may have some common ones like Cherokee Purple, Mule Team, Mortgage Lifter etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: calendar

o

Thank you, HelenH!

o

Welcome to the Ozarks forum.
Not sure why but the Midwest forum isn't very busy so you may not get many replies if you post there. No harm in trying though and you may find some useful info there if you search through old posts.
Looking for info in the Ozarks forum or through the university extension center specific to Missouri or the Ozarks will help you learn what will tolerate the hot summers here.

Other forums here that may be helpful:
Vegetable Gardening Forum
Organic Gardening Forum
Square Foot Forum or Potager Forum if he plans to put in raised beds.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here