Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

I'm gonna be busy!

mosswitch
12 years ago

Five cases of perennials today, I'm gonna be busy planting tomorrow! Hostas, dicentras, and I don't know what else. Come see the new stuff that came in at Ozark Nursery!

Comments (7)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Tops on my wish list - something I might drive all the way to Joplin for:
    John Fanick phlox - supposed to be more heat and drought tolerant than other garden phlox.

There's newish dicentra someone was asking about in the perennials forum called 'Burning Hearts'. The photo was so pretty but I can't for the life of me get fern leaf bleeding hearts to survive. The old fashioned d. spectabilis does ok for me but fern leaf ones are supposed to have a longer bloom time so I'd give this new variety a try if it was a reasonable price.

Have you already been bringing stuff home Mosswitch? Tell us what you get.

Here is a link that might be useful: dicentra Burning Hearts

• helenh
    12 years ago

That sounds like fun, Mosswitch. Christie, I can't keep the fern leaved dicentra for long either. My mother used to have a big old fashioned one. I have some but it seems late freezes have nipped them some years. Mine are not as successful as my mothers and I know she used to bring up trailer loads of barn dirt so maybe that is what mine need. I was up late waiting for the storm with two dogs in the house. It came through and was not bad at all here but hardly any rain fell.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Went to Ozark Nursery today and saw Sandy. Bought a newly-potted blue wood phlox to plant by the mailbox. Sandy is potting up some marvelous plants. Will go back for cannas soon. I didn't realize there were rock stepping stones for 10 cents a pound. I'm a fool for rock.
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was nice to see you today, Sunny!

Well lets see, so far I've gotten two dicentras, Burning Hearts and Fire Island;two hostas,Majestic and Blue Mountains; a couple of toad lilies (tricyrtis), one a beautiful pink and white, White Towers; a purple daylily,A couple pulmonarias, and a few more odds and ends. And it's only just started!

I understand the fool for rock part, Sunny, me too! I got the promise of a pallet of stone for Christmas, to be delivered in the spring, and I need to go pick out my Christmas present soon!

The new perennials in plugs that we got today are half price until we get them potted, lots of sun perennials.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozark Nursery facebook page

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Sounds like you got some nice ones. I've never grown toad lilies. I'll want to know if those fern leaf bleeding hearts survive for you.

I love pulmonaria. I had one that hopped around my shade garden for a few years. I suppose it was reseeding but I always had just one so it made it seem like it was moving around. lol It didn't come back last year but I had a few seeds that I winter sowed and have one seedling so far. The blooms on mine were pink and blue but I've seen some newer varieties that look red in the catalogs. What kind did you get Sandy?

I wonder if any of the nurseries around Springfield offer half price plugs. I'd be fine with getting smaller plants and saving some money.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie, Roy Davidson, which is an old standard. That is the only one that we have so far but there are a couple more on the list yet to come.

I love toad lilies, they are reliable and pretty late in the season, and the clumps get bigger every year.

We'll see about the fernleaf bleeding hearts, I have one that does come back every year but it's an old variety, not one of the new hybrids.

Sandy

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "plugs" are really not smaller plants, that is just the way some of the perennials come in and we plant them in the nursery pots. By the time people buy them the roots have spread out a lot, but they are pretty big plants already. Ozark Nursery sells them at half the price of the potted plant, before the cost of labor, soil and pot are added. Bare root plants are sold the same way until they are all potted up.

So if a perennial is $5.99 in the pot, it is $2.99 before it gets that way. I don't know what other nurseries do it that way. Some places get them in already potted and ready to sell.

This sale doesn't last very long, only until I get them all potted up. And your timing has to be pretty good, from the 2-3 days when they come in until they are done!

Sandy

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone