Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Christie-potatoes

helenh
11 years ago

Christie I clipped something for you so check out my clippings. I think you can skip the sulfur and be fine. I didn't explain how to plant potatoes before because I don't do it the right way. I used to break up the soil lay them on top and put leaves over them. That way I could reach in to get new potatoes. I plant potatoes to get the new potatoes. To me store bought are just as good but not for new potatoes which are great fresh from the garden and small.

Comments (6)

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I have been growing potatoes for a long time. I do it the old traditional way just like my "Daddy" taught me.

You can use any potatoes, seed, from the eating ones you buy,.They don't have to be sprouted either but must have at least 1 or 2 eyes (where the sprouts form). They recommend you cutting them enough ahead of planting that they are dried over. I have done it both ways. You cut a piece at least l inch or so from the potato getting l or more eyes. With you large potatoes you will have a big piece in the center you can just cook. Spread them out on newspapers to dry for a few days (or longer).

I till a row, dig a trench about 6 inches deep. Drop the seeds in maybe 8 inches apart, rake soil back over them. as they sprout, I rake up more soil until I end up with a ridge about 12-14 inches taller than the soil next to the row.

That's it.

You can also do just the top of the ground thing with good mulch piled on, but I don't think you get the yield the old method does.

If you don't want a row, just plant a 'hill' here and there on some good ground.

Hope this helps.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One guy on the OK forum said he used to have a greenhouse and they tried selling sprouted potato pieces planted in four inch pots. He said they didn't sell all of them and when it came to throwing them away there were little 1 inch potatoes in the pots enough to warrant harvesting. I agree with Glenda, you get a nice harvest if you do it right. But you can do almost anything and get something. That is why there are all these methods out there - planting in trash cans etc.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Thanks to both of you! I need to go back and read your clipping Helen. I got distracted by the Pecan Pie Cake recipe. lol
    I planted a few Yukon Golds last year and covered them with mulch. I didn't cut them up because I wasn't sure how to do it and they were very small anyway. With the baking potatoes, I would have to cut those up so I appreciate the info.
    Glenda - Your daddy's method sounds like my daddy's. He planted a LOT of potatoes when we were young and it was an all-day job digging them up.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Pecan Pie Cake recipe??? Where did I miss that??? Sounds heavenly.

Think it's safe to start potatoes about NOW, because it was warm today and I'm Ready To Go -- ???
    Sunny

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Sunny, I think it is a little early. I shoot for the first week of April here. I have done it earlier but they get frost bit and that sets them back so you don't really gain anything.

Take a look at Extension's gardening calender and that can give you an idea of good planting times for your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Calendar

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is so hard to wait when we have nice days. I have had potatoes nipped so I am content now to let them sprout in my basement. I had one piece of a blue potato the end that I cut off a potato I ate. I laid it on top of potting soil that I had planted flower seeds in. It took root and wanted to take over. It is fun when things want to grow. The flower seeds have done little.