Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

finalized tomato list

sweetwm007
13 years ago

tired of this weather so i thought i would look forward to the next couple of weeks. finalized my tomato list.

dr wyche's yellow

aunt gertie's gold

fireworks

prudens purple

new big dwarf- which will be in containers

starting peppers next week and tomatoes the 1st of mar.

let me know what you are planning! hate this time of the yr.

william

Comments (15)

• helenh
    13 years ago

Have you grown fireworks before? I can't believe a finalized planned list. That is not me. I have already messed up. I labeled some tomato seeds in a flat plastic pan of jiffy mix. Was very careful to not get them mixed up, wrote down when I planted etc. because last year my tomatoes were mixed up. It was cold in my house so I put them on top of a tall cabinet. Getting them down to look at them I dropped the whole thing. All the dirt was saved and put back in.
    So far I have
    2 Bloody Butcher plants,
    2 Glacier plants,
    1 Danko plant
    and others not sprouted yet that were messed up. They are:
    Green Doctors cherry,
    Lincoln-Adams,
    Barlow Jap and
    Dana's Dusky Rose.
    I know it is too early but I haven't been out of my driveway since Super Bowl Sunday.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

It is way too early for me to be as organized as you all.

I do know I am planting a new canning type tomato this year that I got from Pinetree Seed, Heinz Classic Processor.

I never start tomatoes or peppers until very late March.

I do need to get busy this weekend and plant snaps and a few other flower seeds.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

I'm with William on hating this time of year!! Its wait, wait, wait--and 65 degree weather wont help! I WANT TO PLANT TOMATOES!!
    This week, I think I'll start Kolarbi, Cabbage, Kale, etc.Wonder if its too early to pit Parsnips and Carrots in a raised bed?
    Not sure yet what tomatoes I'll plant--but I got 55 new Tomatoes from a person online!! Plus Okra, and squash, plus two new Watermelons from another.
    I know I'll plant Ananas Noire,Cuore de Toro, Mr. Stripey( or Big Rainbow) Another trial on Black from Tula. Probably Old German. SIL wants Green Zebra. Great White or White Oxheart. Raspberry Giant.
    See my problem?? So many tomatoes, so little time!!

• helenh
    13 years ago

I thought I would put out Glacier and Bloody Butcher really early in walls of water. If they don't survive it is OK because they are small early tomatoes. I have some Fireworks seed that someone gave me. Since you are growing it Wm. I wonder if I got it from someone here. It is early. Is it a good one? Ceresone I have read about Green Zebra. People either hate it or have to have it every year one of their favorites. If it does warm up I might be in the mood for onion sets and lettuce outside. I really don't want all the lights up in the house yet. My tiny plants are under a lamp with CFL's. I guess I will have to get one light going for the mixed up seed pan. When those come up I will have several plants.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i am so bored here it is terrible. was about 58 today so i feel a little better.

i try to start peppers early because they grow so slow as compared to tomatoes. tomatoes will be started 1 mar which gives me about 8 weeks till i plant out. try to plant out 1 may.

i planted fireworks about 3 yrs ago. think it is potato leaf. really wasn't memorable but what the heck. i am partial to pl plants but don't know why!

william

• helenh
    13 years ago

Aren't you planting any Chinese tomatoes? It was warm here today and I have ice dams on my roof. I am not chipping them off and killing myself so they will just have to melt. The big lump at the end of my drive looks as big as ever. I am not bored but I have tomato plants and it is too early. When bored - I plant. I made brownies and ate half a pan of them. I wish I had ice cream. When bored - eat.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no chinese tomatoes this yr. we have very limited space and everything is in raised beds except for the container plants. the container plants will be in al's mix- 5 1 1. modified of course.

william

• johnmcafee_99
    13 years ago

Marglobe, Blask Krim,yellow Grape,Parks Whooper,Big Zac,Djena Lee Golden Girl,Red Fig,Yellow Jubilee,and Rainbow Beefsteaks mix. On cucumbers whats everybody planting? I think i will use Summer top,Summer Dance and Homemade pickles. To much but its fun to dream this time of yrar Ha!

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

giant german radish, fortex pole beans, diva cucumbers, fla high bush eggplant and some other not so notables.

william

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Here's what I have seeds for and doubt I'll buy any more.
    New to me

Black Branywine
    Black Krim
    Black Sea Man
    Cherokee Purple
    Chocolate Cherry
    Green Grape
    Japanese Black Trifele
    Plum Lemon

Repeats

Jelly Bean
    Red Cherry
    Sungold Select

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I just counted my tomato varieties. I have over 30! I will not be planting all of them....I don't think.

If Sungold Select is better than Sungold, it must be a dandy.
    I love that little yellow tomato.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

I hope my favorite grower at Webb City Farmer's Market has some Black From Tula plants again this year. It was an elegant and tasty tomato.

I'm thinking about addding another raised bed because I could grow more tomatoes plus that space is so hard to mow on a tractor, as it is bordered by fence and the raised beds. Fabulous grass grows in that space for some reason.

This season it will be Brandywine, Sweet 100, Sun Gold, Box Car Willie, Big Beef, Cherokee Purple, Supersteak, Black From Tula (hopefully), Red Oxheart, Black Cherry (maybe); zucchini, Japanese eggplant, Lee okra, Kwintas pole bean, Roma bush bean, lettuces, carrots, snow peas, radishes; herbs; and the usual gang of annuals in and around the vegetable beds.

It's ambitious, yes, but my knees are better than ever! Thank God.
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

Taz you have lots of blacks; I will be growing Cherokee Purple for sure. I love those stocky plants. I have seeds for Japanese Black Trifele because of a blog I read. I don't know if I will have room for that or not. I have more varieties of tomato seed than I could possibly plant. I made raised beds last year out of oak blocks that were supposed to be for firewood. I am not sure I got the soil balanced in them. The tomato plants grew big plants and I got fruit off of some, but Neves Azorean Red didn't have one tomato. Moskvich did well and it was in the same bed. Heidi did well and Ann Russian didn't in the same bed. I think I will redo the raised bed and make it narrower or else prune the tomato plants so I can reach across the bed.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Glenda I grew Big Sun Gold Select last year and liked it but it was not much like Sun Gold F1. If you like the hybrid it is better to plant that and get what you want. I don't care for cherry tomatoes so I like Big Sun Gold Select better it was more like a regular tomato. There are all sorts of sun golds out there but if I really liked the original I would buy the seeds and save them. Tomato seeds are supposed to last several years and they aren't expensive if you know what you want.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I'm just trying new varieties. Sea man isn't black and not sure why they call it black but it's supposed to be tasty and very colorful. Black Trifele is supposed to be tasty and prolific. Guess I'll find out if that holds true in this area. Sungold Select being heirloom is why I selected it. It was sweet and packed a big tomato taste. I only got 10 seeds and only one sprout so I grew it out for seed but did enjoy a few fruit grown under fluorescent lights inside. I won't buy from that ebay vendor again, 1/10 is far from 85%. Got quite a few seeds from that plant though. Not too much longer to wait.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting