Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Spring! Roses! Plants!

mosswitch
12 years ago

I get to go to work tomorrow at Ozark Nursery. The bareroot roses are in, half price now and lots of baby annuals to pot up. Onions, potatoes, strawberries, rhubarb, garlic, all the berry plants. I just love the way a garden center smells in the spring!

Comments (8)

• helenh
    12 years ago

And tomorrow is supposed to be another wonderful day. My grass is growing and I have a few crocus blooming as well as winter honeysuckle. I think we have winter licked but there is still time for a little ice and snow. The average high for this time of year is low 50's and that is good digging weather.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

What a fun job Mosswitch. I'm afraid I would spend all of my paycheck plus some. What's new this year?

• helenh
    12 years ago

I just looked the nursery up on Facebook and she mentioned asparagus too. I planted the ones I got at the Springfield show in pots. That worked before; I can plant them in the ground later. One day I will have enough to have asparagus for breakfast every morning in spring. I think last year I lost ground in my quest for more. We will have to see how this year goes. I hope your fingernails look better than mine. I was out all day today. Do you know when she starts her spring hours (open Sundays)? I wouldn't think it would be busy enough yet to warrant that.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

You have the best job in town, Mosswitch! I'll have to check in soon with Ozark Nursery. This year I want to buy some potted new colors of cornflower. I already have 8 romaine lettuce plants, plus 4 Packman broccoli, and 4 Brussels sprouts plants. Looking forward to Georgia Collard plants at Atwoods soon and spinach, pak choy at Joplin Greenhouse next week or so. Tomorrow I will sow my big pot with Mesclan seed, but first will check the moon sign. Have bought Candy onion plants (3 packages) plus 2 packages of white onion sets. Did I mention I just LOVE onions??

I'm tempted with the bare root roses at Ozark. I need to pull a rose in the circle driveway rose bed that turned out to be a pillar rose and replace it. It has never bloomed, so may just be wild stock.

Helen, I enjoyed the photos of your asparagus in pots, planted with other plants. Very airy, green effect. I'm looking forward to your posting that you had your asparagus for breakfast (maybe next spring??) I enjoy making cream of asparagus soup almost as much as having it just steamed.

Christie, wish I could have gotten up to Springfield for the flower show. I really don't need too many more plants, but I'd love to see it some year.

I have a brand new project going. I lost a huge Taxus (45 years old) and there's a bare slope now. Learning to terrace on the internet and will post my progress. Hope it turns out well. I'm having no trouble sleeping these nights after all the digging, hauling, etc.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I have been missing in action for a while. Nice to see things are getting active here.

I wish I lived nearer Joplin! That nursery keeps calling to me.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Glenda do you ever go to Sunshine Hill Gifts in your neighborhood? My mother used to have concrete chickens and dogs but not many. I never saw any beauty in them at all. In my old age I am littering my yard with stuff. I like the big cat I got last weekend. Glenda you have nice nurseries where you are. Wickman's has nice stuff but the prices stop me. Occasionally I find something I really want there and do shell out the money.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Helen, in my opinion, the two best reasons to Be Happy With Your Age (OLD) are ... 1. you can put what you darned well please in your yard and 2. senior buffets.
    Ask me how I know this --
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helen, my fingernails are terrible anyway from working in my own garden, but loving it! Perennials are just beginning to come in, got 8 cases Friday. Lots of new things this year, great selection of hostas yet to come. So far; Candy Hearts dicentra, a couple of varieties of dianthus, Deer ferns, lupines, Blue Moon woodland phlox and a couple of other things. Pretty calla lilies (bulbs), 4 colors. I love the purple ones!

Christie, what paycheck? I always end up owing the nursery money before spring is over!

Not sure when Sunday hours start, but next weekend will start Saturdays.

Come see what is new! I'll be there every day that there are plants to pot, b sure to say hi! I'll be playing (oops, I mean WORKING)in the greenhouse.

Sandy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA