Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

too early?

jspeachyn5
16 years ago

Do you think it is too early to take my geraniums out and pot them back up? this is the first year I have tried to over winter them in the garage. Looked around on the other site. Just didn't seem to find anyone doing that over there.Maybe I'll check around.

Bonnie

Comments (7)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Bonnie, I am no help at all.....I have never successfully raised a geranium in my life!

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks. I love mine and always started new one each year. on other site they say how to do it but not when. can't seem to get a response, oh well. 20 here to day burr.
    Bonnie

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Bonnie, I've got plain old geraniums in containers inside and don't take mine outside till last frost date. They're just now starting to put on new leaves.
    vickie

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello oakleif, did you leave your in the pots? I didn't I took mine out and stored in brown bags in garage like they suggested. I had several so not enough room indoors for all my "babies". Do you repot yours before you take them back out? are you starting to water yours now that they are putting on new leaves? Sorry lost of questions. I thought this might be a better route instead of buying new each year. As well as I really liked the ones I had this time. Thanks
    Bonnie

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Bonnie, i did leave mine in pots and watered them all winter. Last year they bloomed off and on all winter. They grew alot and were really pretty last summer. They are in large containers(about 5 gal.) I don't know why they lost leaves this year unless it's because my house was abt 8 degrees cooler this winter.(decided to save on gas this year.) My christmas cactus did great and is in full bloom now and two others are putting on buds. My other plants are doing ok too
    I have a Boston Fern i decided to keep too and lots of new fronds for it too.

I've injoyed taking care of them this winter. but i've nothing better to do and i have very sunny living room and bedroom windows to set them at. These geraniums do grow into big plants with lots of flowers. Starting with the same bulbs is probably just as good. I'm not an expert. Just want to see how big they'll get.
    Happy Gardening
    vickie

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I'm repotting mine on monday evening. So we'll see how it goes. I sure hope this works. Had no idea when I read that on the other forum last fall, that there would be no one to answer question in the spring. lol. what I get for trying something new w/something I really like. Oh well live n' learn. Sure is cold and raining here all day. I'm going to go pull up to fireplace and see about ordering some more seed and plants. I want some perennials. really getting to the point I would like to have something more coming up on it's own each year. yeah I know I'm getting older and lazy. lol.
    Bonnie

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

Bonnie, if you are asking if it is too early to pot up geraniums and put them outside, the answer is yes. If you have no warm sunny place inside to set them, you should probably wait another month at least. I've never done it that way but I do know that geraniums are not cold hardy. The ones I left outside last fall frosted out early in the fall. The ones I dug up and potted in 1/2 gal pots on the glassed in porch--which I heat to 45 degrees on cold nights--llost a few leaves, but kept blooming all winter.