Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyplants

signs of spring...

NancyPlants
11 years ago

The snow is nearly gone and we're supposed to have 50-60 degree weather the rest of the week.
The earliest daffs are budding and today I noticed hyacinths peeking out.

What signs are you seeing???

Comments (7)

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

About the same, Nancy -- the hyacinths are at least showing a little color and daffs are ready for full bloom at any time.

Going to plant my onion bed very soon, as the dark of the moon will be upon us before we know it.

When the redbuds pop and forsythia blooms, it will be time to really get things going around here. Can.Hardly.Wait.--
    Sunny

• helenh
    11 years ago

My violas are fragrant. I have some in the open and some near the house in a sheltered area. When I go up my steps I can smell them. The ones by the house take winter better; it must be warmer there.

The bulbs are coming up too and a few are blooming. Winter honeysuckle is blooming and has been for quite a while.

• beerhog
    11 years ago

For a bit I thought someone shot the groundhog that said early spring but starting to look alright around here.

• NancyPlants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like you're all a bit ahead of my area.
    Helen, your violas sound lovely. I just have one here and one there. Not enough to get a nice fragrance.

Sunny, are there certain things you plant when you see the redbuds bloom? Seems I'm always a bit late starting those early veggies.
    My first crocus is blooming and the garlic looks happy...

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Nancy, I haven't planted any seeds yet. Have torn the house apart looking for a note I made to myself one year -- "when the lilacs have leaves the size of mouse ears, it is time to ......." ? What? I know you prune roses when the forsythia is blooming. Plant potatoes around St. Patrick's Day. Wood ashes around lilacs I guess when I clean the fireplace out.

I planted my onion bed yesterday with white Candy, red Candy, Texas Sweet, and a bag of white bulbs. YUM! Also planted starts of bok choy.
    Sunny

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

I found the paper that had the planting info on it -- goes like this:
    "plant peas, onions, broccoli when lilac leaves are the size of mouse ears."
    And the wood ashes go on asparagus and lilacs.
    Sunny

• helenh
    11 years ago

Thanks I'll put some ashes on my asparagus.

I bought three deciduous azaleas at Lowe's in Carthage. Two were gallon size nice plants for $9 and one is a big plant maybe 3 gallon for $23. I think I got the pick of the best plants because I shopped early. I got one scoop of steamy mushroom compost from Joplin Lawn and Garden.

They had impatients too - way way too early for those unless you kept them inside. I wonder if they are protecting them today and this coming week.