Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
signs of spring...

Posted by NancyPlants 5bNEKs (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 0:09

The snow is nearly gone and we're supposed to have 50-60 degree weather the rest of the week.
The earliest daffs are budding and today I noticed hyacinths peeking out.

What signs are you seeing???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: signs of spring...

About the same, Nancy -- the hyacinths are at least showing a little color and daffs are ready for full bloom at any time.

Going to plant my onion bed very soon, as the dark of the moon will be upon us before we know it.

When the redbuds pop and forsythia blooms, it will be time to really get things going around here. Can.Hardly.Wait.--
Sunny

o

My violas are fragrant. I have some in the open and some near the house in a sheltered area. When I go up my steps I can smell them. The ones by the house take winter better; it must be warmer there.

The bulbs are coming up too and a few are blooming. Winter honeysuckle is blooming and has been for quite a while.

o

For a bit I thought someone shot the groundhog that said early spring but starting to look alright around here.

o

Looks like you're all a bit ahead of my area.
Helen, your violas sound lovely. I just have one here and one there. Not enough to get a nice fragrance.

Sunny, are there certain things you plant when you see the redbuds bloom? Seems I'm always a bit late starting those early veggies.
My first crocus is blooming and the garlic looks happy...

o

Nancy, I haven't planted any seeds yet. Have torn the house apart looking for a note I made to myself one year -- "when the lilacs have leaves the size of mouse ears, it is time to ......." ? What? I know you prune roses when the forsythia is blooming. Plant potatoes around St. Patrick's Day. Wood ashes around lilacs I guess when I clean the fireplace out.

I planted my onion bed yesterday with white Candy, red Candy, Texas Sweet, and a bag of white bulbs. YUM! Also planted starts of bok choy.
Sunny

o

I found the paper that had the planting info on it -- goes like this:
"plant peas, onions, broccoli when lilac leaves are the size of mouse ears."
And the wood ashes go on asparagus and lilacs.
Sunny

o

Thanks I'll put some ashes on my asparagus.

I bought three deciduous azaleas at Lowe's in Carthage. Two were gallon size nice plants for $9 and one is a big plant maybe 3 gallon for $23. I think I got the pick of the best plants because I shopped early. I got one scoop of steamy mushroom compost from Joplin Lawn and Garden.

They had impatients too - way way too early for those unless you kept them inside. I wonder if they are protecting them today and this coming week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here