Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

March,2008

oakleif
16 years ago

Well is this close enough to the first to say March came in like a lion? So it's bound to go out like a lamb.

The wind is blowing hard but no snow yet. I was so busy raking leaves this week i did'nt go into town so am out of bread and milk. Will have to make bisquits and use my stored powdered milk.

My tomatoes are up and basil. Guess i'll go back to looking at seed catalogs for my garden fix. LOL.

Everyone stay warm,

vickie

Comments (26)

• kaye
    16 years ago

We woke up to over 6" of snow this AM..very pretty, very cold. Got onions and carrots planted yesterday..about half the roses are pruned and the flower garden needs a good clean-up. Had a coyote in the yard in the snow before dawn. I grabbed the dogs back in..poor things had just gone out.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

Burr cold. No snow here this a.m. Just cold. Everyone do be careful in all this and stay warm. Have a good day.
    Bonnie

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

poured out the rain gage at 4pm yesterday and we had over 3 inches. woke up this am and had about 2 inches of snow and was in the low 20's. it is a blistering 33 now at 1pm.

oaklief come on over for i need to start potting up tomatoes and peppers! hate that job.

william

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Sunday, 75 degrees--Monday 5" of rain--Tuesday 10" of snow--Dont think I'll even open my eyes tomorrow!

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Well, we were one of the lucky ones in one of the bands on either side of the snow belt and got maybe 1/4 inch. We did get lots of rain, that we did not need, the day before. Springfield got 7.5 inchesof snow. What little we got melted off yesterday and today we should be around 50°.

I may go in to Hummert's Int'l. in Springfield today and see what they have in seeds. I want some basil and varieties of peppers I don't have and check and see if they have Kwintus pole bean seeds. That may be a Park exclusive that I have to order.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

We got around 6 or 7 inches of snow I think. It drifted so it was hard to tell but plenty to build a big snowman and it wasn't terribly cold so my 10 year olds had such a good time playing outside. My son got a sunburn (snowburn?) Gld - How strange that it missed you like that. I'm sure there were some school districts with 8 or 9 inches of snow in some places and less than an inch in others. Those people were probably surprised that school was canceled.
    Let us know if Hummert's has a lot of seeds in now. I'd like to check out what kind of watermelons they have. I was on Glenstone last week and intended to go by there but ran out of time.
    Ceresone - Sounds like Mother Nature was very generous with both the rain and the snow at your place. Does your yard flood? Hope you gardens aren't under water.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Christie, I don't think they have as many seeds as last year, but could just be they have relocated them. I did see some watermelon seeds but they were in racks down close to the floor and I didn't pay them much attention.

I got sweet banana pepper seeds, and serrano red chili peppers,peaches and cream corn, three kinds of squash, sugar snap peas, beet, and broccoli seeds. I just finished ordering the Kwintus beans from Park along with basil, and onion seed. I should have ordered last month....hope they ship quickly.

I hope that finishes me up for seed for this year.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

fri morn here and about 6 inches of snow. temp was 33. looks like a heavy snow and the ice/ snow is beginng to melt all over. going to be a messy day. had 3 or 4 power outages. i know the crews are going to be tired and busy.

william- in yellville

• gldno1
    16 years ago

William, it seems strange to be here with no snow and Arkansas having so much! Been a strange winter.

• kaye
    16 years ago

Hasn't it been a strange year, though! Got another snow here last night and this morning and this time it was over 11". Lots of damage from the weight of the snow on the trees and bushes.

• pomonaflower
    16 years ago

Yesterday, it was 70 degrees and just 7 days earlier it was snowing. This is our first winter in the Ozarks so I'll just have to believe what you are all saying - that it's been a strange one.

Poor folks in our old home town have had record snow fall, over 80". It's one reason we left Wisconsin. The others were taxes and the short growing season.

Just ordered a load of soil for my FRIST raised veggie bed in Missouri. If I had the energy, I could probably have found what I needed by digging in a corner of the pasture but I figure this is an investment in the future.

I've got some stuff started in pots and flats. Hard to know when to get started - so different than I'm used to.

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Hope the snow and ice is over for now, noticed yesterday, that the peach trees are budding. Scarey for so soon, I remember last year only woo well.
    Had hand surgery (re-surgery?) again Monday, then set out 6 new fruit trees, and two blueberries Wednesday.
    Also, got all my plants started, I'm later than other years, but thats O.K-other years I've been too early.
    Sure hope by next year, I can get enough concrete blocks to fix my garden beds like I want them.
    Supposed to rain again tonight, hope everyone getting the rains, and weather they need.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

ceresone, good luck with the second surgery recovery.

Do you mind telling me where you got your fruit trees? I want to order a few and keep changing my mind on where to get them.
    I know now I will have to change the location for them. After all the rains we have been getting, I see where water stands for a few days...not good for growing.

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Gldno, I think everyone that has a computer knows about how I feel about Stark Bros trees--LOL--but despite that, I ordered 3 from them--fair, nothing to brag on--about the diameter of a pencil.
    I also used the coupon from Gurneys--and was I suprised. They not only have a lifetime guarentee, they were about the diameter of a large pill bottle (can you tell I'm bad on measurements?) they were 4' tall!!
    I have 6 more ordered from Raintree Nursery, due in next week. Theirs, and Starks now only have a 1 year guarentee.

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't know where time is going. I'm moving so fast so slowly don't know what to do.Outside than inside depending on the temp or rain.cleaning flowerbeds than closets-YUK! Saw a grass snake day before yesterday. Have to rake leaves out of dog pen as soon as it quits raining.

Have been cooking and than freezing things for later use for myself and the dogs. There,s a market here that has been having good sales on meat. so i cook a little meat make some cheap cornbread (no eggs or milk) mix them together and freeze them for my dogs.Making soups for myself.

ceresone, really take good care of your hand and don't be using it. I've given all my catalogs away. Is Starks the co. that calls itslf in onadago country. If it is Some years ago i ordered pear trees and mock orange bushes and they did well. I'd hate to hear they were sold and no longer reliable.

Willam, Thanks for the invite but i think i'll pass. i know about how many seeds you've sown and my puny amount will keep me busy. I'll be waiting for an invite to come and pick a couple bushel after you've done all the hard work tho.

The thunder is booming so guess i should get off line but will probably wait till it gets closer.
    vickie

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Thanks for the concern, Vicki--would you believe this is the first hand I had surgery on a year ago? started having trouble with one place in Oct. local docs thought a stitch that didnt dissolve, they did 3 surgeries, --Dr in Spf did surgery week ago--can't find a reason for inflamation-no pockets of infection-having to try my third antibiotic. I'm allergic to so many. have to go to spf weekly-or weakly, as the case may be.
    But--my plants are showing green, started the usual, but bought kolaribi yesterday to try--havent before.
    Starks is in Louisana, Mo.
    supposedly the employees bought it after the bankruptcy
    Blueberries (one anyhow) showing a bit of green, if they dont drown--everybody getting lots of rain? Our county has 6 alerts out now. Oh, well, we really need our ground water refilled, so much expansion out our way.
    Stay Dry, Everyone.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I have a daffodil blooming! Only one - on the south side of the kids playhouse and the poor thing is laying on the ground from all this rain but at least I have a little reminder that spring is on its way.
    We haven't been in the main path of most of the rain that's gone through but we still have water sitting in our yard in a few places. South of here, they're getting WAY too much rain and still more on the way. Is anyone worried about getting flooded out? There are several schools letting out early. Please be careful driving.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

christie, I have on little bunch of daffs blooming too. The rain sure isn't helping them....We have had 5 inches and counting. The water is standing everywhere. No possibility of flooding for us since there are no rivers nearby. Hope everyone else is safe and dry.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

poured out the rain gage at 3 pm today and it was 5 inches. still raining and will look at it in the am.

still potting up!

william

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Well we found out the hard way that our sump pump doesn't work anymore. Our basement flooded. We've been trying to dry stuff out.

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

well, lower 1/4 of my lawn is under water. standing in spots every where else. so funny, well not really. I went out one day last week and cleaned out the gutter over the front porch ares. had a few leaves in there. It was raining so hard that it was just running out over the top of the gutter. was too fast to drain out the right way. Seems to be a pattern for the last couple of springs to have more than enough rain. ceresone take care of your self. Going to go put on my mud boots to go walk the dog, lol.
    Bonnie

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

ended up with 8 1/2 inches of rain. think it is finished for the sun is coming out at 2 pm.

take care ceresone.

william

• gldno1
    16 years ago

William, sounds like you all got more than us. My gage overflowed so don't know the exact numbers, but guessing it at 6 inches.

Sun is shining today and it is a balmy 65°. I potted up my foxgloves, ended up with around 30 seedlings....don't need that many but I can't toss a green plant!
    Petunias have sprouted, egg plant, broccoli and feverfew is just starting.

My west lawn is still squishy.....no outside gardening here for a while.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

gldno1- i have a bunch of foxglove in a 72 cell tray. they came up all over the place. do you pot them up like peppers and tomatoes? i know nothing about flowers!!!!!!!!!!!

william- who needs a book " flowers for dummies"

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Yes, that is what you do. Harden them off when the time comes to plant outside. They are supposed to self-sow if happy, mine evidently weren't. So I will save seed and plant them like annuals. They will need some afternoon shade from very hot summer sun, I think. I have just grown them two years. If possible, mulch them to conserve moisture during hot weather.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

thanks!