Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

spring ephemeral picture

helenh
12 years ago

Virginia Bluebells

This viburnum smells really nice but the butterfly likes stinky mushroom compost too.

Comments (13)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Pretty Helen! I have a fragrant viburnum blooming too but haven't seen any butterflies going to it. Yesterday evening, right before dark, I went out on the deck and could see about a dozen ugly little brown moths buzzing around my viburnum. I haven't seen any big butterflies yet this year at all, only a few cabbage whites and another little reddish brown butterfly that wouldn't land so I couldn't see what it was.

What kind of spot do you have your bluebells in? Do they get shade? I only tried that plant once and failed.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bluebells can be under trees because they bloom before the tree leafs out and then die back until the next year. I have mine with hostas and ferns under a dogwood and azalea. Possibly they could be in the sun but you don't want them where you will be digging. Mine haven't spread so I am not sure they are in an ideal place. I think if there were seedlings it would be easy to pull them for weeds; that could be my problem.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If you want the butterflies to come around, get a big green pile of manure or some mushroom compost.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Christie, if you were in Joplin I would give you plenty of Virginia bluebell seedlings. After 25 years they think they own the place. They are really easy to transplant right now, but you have to get them small as they have a taproot that looks like a carrot and it is really hard to dig up big ones successfully. I've transplanted them all over my small woods, and they have also reseeded themselves in places where they apparently want to grow. They are really easy to get started, but as Helen says you have to be careful not to weed out the babies. They take about 2 years to get to blooming size.

They do like light shade though I do have some in pretty good spring sun. My best patch is under my pergola, where they have established themselves in the paving stone path, and along the gravel edges. So much for the myth that they need deep rich moist woodland soil! They reseed by the hundreds in the gravel path, where I dig them up to move around and give away. Maybe this year I'll try to catch them as they go to seed and just scatter seed where I would like to have it.

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good one to try from seed. I'm a little leary of something reseeding with a taproot though. How long are they in bloom? If it's a long time it might be worth having to deal with the unwanted extras. Lately, I've been trying to watch for Queen Anne's Lace volunteers. They have an evil taproot but I usually can pull them up by hand if they're still small and if the ground is good and soggy like it is now. There are quite a few that just break off when I try to pull them up though and I suspect they regrow.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie I wish the bluebells would take over. I love the surprise every spring; most years I worry that they won't come up and hunt for their spot. But they do come up like my asparagus that I was really worried about. I am having asparagus for breakfast and a green onion from last year. I have a small amount of lettuce that lived over the winter. I am going to taste it today to see if it is bitter. It is winter cos I think.

My bluebells haven't spread and I wish they would. They are a beautiful bright blue with pink buds. After they bloom they disappear like bleeding heart does. I wouldn't worry about them taking over because they are not visible in summer. I think I read somewhere the seed needs to be fresh so I don't know if purchased seed would be easy or not. That is something for me to search for on line so I don't have to do my taxes which I have not started (panic).

Speaking of spreading don't ever plant crown vetch. I read years ago that it was good for erosion control, it is as bad as honeysuckle and poisonous to some livestock to boot.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

The bluebells bloom for three or four weeks in the spring usually, then the whole plant dies off and goes away until the next spring. Definitely worthwhile.

I can save seed for you and Helen if you want, that is if I can catch it before it spreads! Just scatter it where you would like them to grow. They won't come up until next spring.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would love to have some bluebell seeds. Since you said that yours reseed I have been thinking of surrounding mine with some potting soil for a seed bed. I was wondering if the seedlings also die back. It seems like they wouldn't have time to get big enough. Or do they wait until the next spring to come up?

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Helen, the seedlings don't come up until next spring, then they grow as long as the adult plants and die back at the same time. And actually, the best reseeding takes place in the gravel path. I think if you just scratch up the soil a little and let the seeds fall, they should take hold. I don't think you need potting soil, they prefer the native soil. Just don't cut them back when they finish blooming until they turn yellow and die back.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I see why the seedlings are coming up in your gravel path. Every bit of ground I have that has not been covered in mulch is thick with chick weed and other weeds. I am either smothering my seedlings with mulch or letting weeds choke them.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I can't believe you already have butterflies! My viburnum is almost finished and nary a butterfly so far.

I love the Va. bluebells too. My sis gave me some last fall and I left them in the pot.....I think they died out over winter. I don't see the red violets she gave me either.

I lost a lot of things over the 'mild' winter....abut half the blackberries. I wonder if it wasn't the dry that did it.

It seems that everything that blooms now is ephemeral! Here today; gone tomorrow.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think last summer took a toll. I was afraid several things were not going to come up and they eventually did. One area of asparagus is not coming up. It is not a good spot and the Johnson grass is in it. Asparagus in a big pot came up weeks ago but that in the ground has just started. I thought some of my hostas were not going to come up but finally I see points.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Some of my hostas are up, others are still thinking about it and won't be showing their faces for at least another week or two yet. Lots of various butterflies here, a bee moth was in the money plant today.

I think I only lost one or two plants, a monarda is definitly gone and one rodgersia. I think. I have so many plants that sometimes I don't remember what is where and I am really surprised to see something I don't remember planting.

It's been so hot that even the ephemerals are REALLY ephemeral. They don't last long enough to even get a really good look at them before they're done! I know the bloodroot bloomed, because I can see all the leaves, but I sure don't remember seeing very many flowers!

Sandy