Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Flower Bed Clean-up

gldno1
13 years ago

I finally quit talking and began doing....I did the Hummingbird Bed outside the kitchen window yesterday.

Quite a few things are poking their heads through the leaves and mulch: 'Robustissima'anemone, daffs, daylilies, iris, heliopsis, and rose campion, also a patch of self-seeded lamium. So far the self-seeded salvias haven't shown themselves or the 4 O'clocks. I think my fall planted mums didn't survive either.

Can you see the tree stump? That was the bird feeder tree. I hated to see it go, but it was an Elm and half dead and DH thought it was dangerous so it went.

They came back later in the morning and ground out the stump. I told him to leave the saw dust and he volunteered to shovel it into my garden cart for me so now I have about two bushels of finely ground sawdust and dirt..great stuff.

I also ended up with a pile of wood chips. They are much coarser than normal but I took them anyway figuring they will break down over the months.

Note: the newly mowed lawn! I think this is early for the first mowing.

Comments (5)

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

So far, out of a dozen or so mums I planted last fall, I only see one or two that aren't showing some green at the bases. Everything seems to be coming up fine, maybe lost a few of those asters I bought on sale at the end of the season but I kind of expected that. Some things seem to be early (the tulip magnolia, I have pics from last year the first of April and this year it will be done blooming by that time). Some things seem to be coming up later than usual but on the whole, with the winter we had, most of it is lookin' good!

So now you have a new sunny bed where the elm was? New opportunitues!

• helenh
    13 years ago

Your yard looks great Glenda. Mine always looks bad this time of year because I don't have a lawn only weeds of various heights. Its not enough to mow but looks messy. I need to take pictures of my daffodils; my yard is not cleaned up.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Your yard does look great. I saw someone mowing yesterday, looked around at my yard, and realized it could be mowed to neaten it up. Ugh, I hate to see mowing begin.

I've got a whole summer's worth of crabgrass to attend to then we're putting down edging and mulch. The estimate to have those three things done came to $3000 so it's DIY time.

I'm sneaking over to Glenda's and stealing all that mulch soon, hehe.

• sweetwm007
    13 years ago

nice pic as always. that was some serious tree pruning.

you might want to throw some ammonium nitrate on the wood chips, might help them break down sooner.

william

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good idea William; I never think of thinks like that.

I have already mowed the each yard and that area east of the house where the stump is.

The front (south) and side (west) yard are more shady and don't need it yet.

I know this sounds crazy, but I love to mow! Now understand I am sitting on a riding mower.....it is zero turn and I do enjoy mowing with it.

I will take some pictures of the Cellar Bed when the sun comes up. I cleaned it yesterday so I could enjoy the daffodils better.

Today, I will be firing the tall grass bed just north of it. I told DH to get the garden hose out and ready....just in case.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio