Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessaka

March Journal

jessaka
14 years ago

Great! It is already March. Time for a new thread. Yesterday I was finally able to be outside and was able to clean up some things. Hopefully, today will be likewise. I moved some lumber that my dh left when he finished the front porch, and there were all my little daffodils trying to pop up.

This is the coldest winter I have spent anywhere, but I would not trade oklahoma for anywhere else. I don't believe that I have ever enjoyed life so much as I have here.

Comments (56)

• helenh
    14 years ago

That is a pretty hosta. I planted lettuce and onion sets today. I have a huge brush pile to burn but I am waiting for rain first. Then I probably won't be able to get it to burn. I am very careful with fire since I burned the woods years ago.

I once had a sour cherry that had fruit every year with no spraying. It did finally get borers but lived longer than other fruit trees with the exception of pear trees. They died the year the Mississippi flooded. This is ancient history. I wouldn't plants pears again because I never did use them and the yellow jackets swarmed over the fallen fruit. I would plant another cherry.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

everything i have looks dead. i am not sure if my hostas made it or not. i know that last year the ferns popped up--eventually.

i would miss the snow too. i liked in a small cow town of paso robles,ca when i grew up. it snowed every 5 years, and i loved it. but when i was 17 i got to visit missouri and fell in love with west plains. this reminds me of missouri.

just this winter was coler than the last 3 we had here. but i hated it when we lived in san diego county in ca for a few years. no weather. the temps went from 60 to 75 or so, all year long, the trees didn't lose their leaves, everything stayed green, no fall colors. no snow, no rain (once in a while), great summer fires. ugh. no sun, or very little. kind of like this winter in tahlequah where i have not seen much sun this winter.

i haven't seen a yellow jacket around here lately. i would hate having them. i don't mind honey bees, and i have a lot of clover in our lawn for them. i planted it.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Well, the weather hasn't suited me enough to work outside....yet.

Cristie, I have a sour cherry tree, probably a North Star, that keeps us in fruit every year. I never spray it with anything! The only two things I worry about are peaches and apples and maybe the plum trees. Another tree that I just get fruit from every few years is an apricot tree (frosts usually nip them) and it requires no spraying at all.

Jessaka, I bet nothing is dead....I think it is still way too early for hostas be up. We need some warmer days before things really begin to pop.

Helen, congrats on the lettuce and onions. I wish I could get some lettuce out.....maybe toward the end of the week. I need some 50° days first.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Jessaka, when you come for the bloodroot you will see my daffs blooming, and if you want some you can come back in May to dig some of them too. I have too many to keep them divided when they need it. Then next year you will have somethng green up early. It is too early for Hostas and ferns.

I sure hope next week is warmish and sunny. Dh took the week off to help me get the early garden planted.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mulberry. Let me know when the bloodroot and the, oh, what was it called? the indians use it to make baskets and it has the name of brush not bush and has red berries on it. let me know when that is ready too.

i grew up with daffodils. that was about all that was growing in our yard besides some dark yellow flowers that look a little like daisies with sticky leaves. i have some narcisses jonqils (?) but not daffodils that i know of. would love some.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

It's great to hear sour cherries do ok without spraying. I think I'll just wait and see how it does. Thanks

It's finally starting to feel like spring. I saw a little bird flying into my spruce tree with a twig in its mouth. And saw a snake yesterday. My dog helped me find it. lol The snake was trying to warm up on the rocks around our propane tank just outside the fence and Chloe was going nuts barking at it. I finally let the dogs in to give the poor snake some peace. It had black and brown stripes and looked sort of like a Garter Snake but I think it was something else.

Today is going to be nice!

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I sure hope it is nice. I bought the dormant oil spray yesterday and will spray the trees this afternoon. I hope it warms up fast; it was 18° here this morning.

Other Plans: Plant some Bibb lettuce under the lights. Start a few basil plants.

Pick up trash from our place to the corner. I know it is local people doing this and it makes me thoroughly ashamed.
    I think Missouri is fast becoming a trashy state. I know Tennessee and Arkansas looked spotless last time we were there. Shame on anyone who throws anything out a window!

Yesterday was errand day. I saw the Vidalia plants at Murfins, but no Yukon Golds. Didn't buy them. I think I will have all I need between my plants and the ones from Dixondale.

Picked up dormant oil spray and a new metal bird feeder. Now find that the platform is a little small for the Redbirds to rest comfortably. Got to figure something out for them. It is a pretty, all metal one so I hope I can fix it.

From Birds

This is the morning to milk....gonna be cold out there.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Jessaka, Buck Brush or Coralberry is the common name of the plant you want. You are aware that they spread by underground runners, I hope? I don't mind that, I have Kerria and Spirea that do also but if your space is limited that's something to know. (And you can have a start of Kerria and Spirea if you want them.) Another plant that has lovely fall berries is American Beautyberry. My SIL was here last week helping clean up debris from last year's ice storm and he cut mine down thinking it was just wild sprouts that I didn't want. Hope it comes back. It's the only one I have.

Glenda, lovely birdfeeder. Maybe you can place it on a slightly larger platform. And I know what you mean about the trash. There are places in AR and Ok where it is bad too. I almost never saw trash in Washington growing up so when I returned to my birthplace I was surprised, and embarrased for my state.

I'll be looking for Yukon Golds today. Hope they are here.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

SoMo had Yukon Gold seed potatoes when I was there Glenda but it was over a week ago. Pretty bird feeder!

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Back in the house now. The cold wasn't too bad.

I was thinking the same thing about the feeder, larger platform.

I have some sprouted potatoes that look like Yukon Golds, hope they are.

I planted a deep six pak with Bibb lettuce and put under the lights. I found a few seeds of the Corkscrew vine and Hyacinth Bean vine and will do them once the pots have soaked up enough water.

I watered the vigna caracalla (Corkscrew) vine out in the milk parlor...don't know if it survived or not but will bring it out into more light...maybe bring it to the porch and put under the bottom tier of lights..

Have lost the blasted jiffy pots I bought. I will have to do a serious search later this morning. I don't even know what I bought them for....never use them.

Wal Mart has all seed racks out of the Ferry-Morse seeds now. That is where I got the lettuce seed. I am still looking for Buttercrunch.

Taking a break now.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Nice feeder. Mine are hard for the cardinals to fit on also. I wired a stick to one but I don't know that it helps. They manage to get seed. I got a load of rotten wood chips at my mother's farm yesterday; I need to unload that this morning. I am also picking up junk over there; it is rundown around the barn. The field is beautiful, but I haven't checked for thistles yet. It is a little late already for that. You can't get the sprayer guy at the drop of a hat. The forecast looks great. I think the grass will be coming up soon and I need to make sure my mower runs.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nice bird feeder glenda. people here complain about our trashy highways, streets, etc.

i would like the buck brush anyway. i have some spirea, and one that i wish would really grow. it is a bridleveil that was given to me as a stick and has made it 2 years but is only 7 inches tall. perhaps not enough sun.

the weather was so nice yesterday but i spent it inside cleaing. i was so exhausted by 4:30 p.m. after starting at 3 a.m., ironing, washing curtains and dust ruffles, bedding, cleaning out drawers. who ever invented spring cleaning, and why did i buy into it?

• ceresone
    14 years ago

the post's above DO make me ashamed-I'm throwing out a milk crate full of sprouted Youkon Golds's today, along with a box of Sweet Potatoes, and quite a few onions. Just not going to plant any this year. No plants started, either! Hey, is this me? or a intruder--LOL
    I'm building a couple of big planters for my deck, I have a lot of self watering planters fron Gardeners Supply- but they are really big-and have to be moved into the garage each year, to keep from freezing. Concentating on flowers this year, course, I'll plant some in the raised beds I have finished.
    My Husbands problem has been diagnosed as delated radation damage,but since brain cancer is active again (cant have more radation, nor chemo) no Dr has scheduled followups-just a matter of time-so my gardening this year will be limited.
    I DO have a big dahlia order ready to go-with a "few" glads-and seeds included.
    And this just goes to show you--cant keep a gardener down-beginning to feel like maybe I will beat the "BERMUDA"
    Everyone enjoy this georgeous weather predicted for the coming week.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Ceresone, ask for help from others and agencies. It is smart to make things as easy as possible for yourself because stress will ruin your health. Gardening is a good stress relief so I think the flowers will be good. If a time comes when you can't care for them, there is always next season.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Jessaka, Spring isn't for CLEANING. Spring is for GARDENING. I do my spring cleaning in January, this year with the help of my 15 year old granddaughter. We even washed the inside of windows. Cleaned closets and cupboards, washed curtains and pillow covers etc. One of the DGDs will be coming soon to work outside. Love those helpers.

Ceresone, So sorry to hear of your husband's health problem. I wish him well, and you too.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

ceresone, I wondered about your husband when I heard that Cox had over radiated lots of patients.

I think it is very wise of you to take the season or year off from doing too much outside so you can do what is really important and that is being with and caring for your husband.

I hope you will fill some pots with flowers to enjoy on the deck though.

I will be thinking of you this gardening year.

I still didn't get my spraying done! Our neighbor stopped by and she is going in for surgery next Tuesday and wanted us to keep an eye on her place. Then the tractor man finally delivered the tractor that has been in the shop for a month. That took care of the afternoon.

Maybe today.

• carrieb806
    14 years ago

I finished putting down a weed barrier for my container garden and I tried an initial layout of containers, most of which are empty at this point. Right now, there are only chives, radishes, lettuce, chard and kale growing out there. I started some scallions and am patiently waiting for activity in the carrot pot. Of course, the broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower are in the wings, waiting to get fully hardened off before they take their places in the garden.

I also laid down a layer of mulch, put in a border made of scrounged lumber and built a berm for growing sugar snap peas and bush beans. The broom-handle trellis is assembled, except for the netting, and, by golly, I think it is going to work. I have peas sprouting, so I hope to get them transplanted next weekend.

Overall, I am well pleased. This garden is certainly not going to be a work of visual art by any means, but I have high hopes for practical production.

Ceresone, I am very sorry to hear about your husband's illness. My family and close friends have been touched by cancer, and it so hard. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

• carrieb806
    14 years ago

I hear spring peepers - finally. Yea!

• helenh
    14 years ago

Does anyone else dig up toads in their garden? I tell mine I'm sorry and plant them back in the ground.

I can see my fish. I was worried because I saw them after the snow melted when it was warm for a few days. Then cold weather returned and I haven't been seeing them except one big female dead and full of eggs. Now I see lots of them. I planted some sweet peas out side with no wall of water because I was too lazy to fill it up. I did put clear plastic tubs over them because they aren't hardened off. We will see if this is too early on not.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, I have tilled them up before. It always startles me.

I moved the flat of cabbages and onion plants to the cold frame yesterday and left them out overnight. I will need to water almost daily now. The snaps will go out this morning.

I want to plant my vinca seeds asap. I would like some blooming by Memorial Day.

I received the onion plants from Dixondale and have stored them in the fridge in the milk parlor. I think it is way too early here to do much planting.

I need to start fighting henbit now!

• helenh
    14 years ago

Chickweed is thick here and ground ivy which is worse. At least chickweed will decline by summer.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I spent all last week, in the beautiful weather, pruning and cleaning up my garden. I am ready for......SPRING!!

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I am still hesitant to do much flower bed cleanup. I know we will get another hard freeze. I can do some things though and hope it warms up a little so I can begin.

I have 11 different beds so it becomes quite a job.

I want to finish pruning some clematis and will have to get the chain saw out to cut down the buddleia bushes. I am still not a huge fan of these shrubs........

The grass seems to be greening up daily.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I've been mostly staying inside this weekend where it's warm and dry. I think it's too early to uncover stuff too Glenda. I don't want to have to cover it up again.

I have a few daffodils blooming but this year pulmonaria was first to bloom. My original 'Mrs. Moon' is long gone and the one I have now is a forth or fifth generation seedling. Still looks a lot like the original plant though with spotted leaves and tiny pink and blue flowers.

I found garlic coming up, several inches tall, from the grocery store garlic that I stuck in the ground last fall. That was a nice surprise. I hope it won't mind if we get another freeze.

Sending a hug and a prayer Ceresone - Your husband has been fighting cancer for such a long time.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I took some cuttings from coleus on my window sill (in tubs).

• carrieb806
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I now have sprouting/growing a pot of Parmex carrots, spinach mustard, spinach, scallions, radishes, romaine and leaf lettuce, and my herb pots (cilantro, marjoram, chives, thyme, lavendar, bee balm, lemon balm, catnip and basil). I also planted some swiss chard, pak choi and kale seeds. The herbs are inside right now, but everything else is outside, under big sheets of clear plastic, rigged up as temporary cold frames.

This weekend I also started Red Robin and Tumbling Tom tomatoes, banana and anaheim peppers and an eggplant. I haven't tried eggplant before, so this is another experiment. I don't know the variety off the top of my head, but the fruit pictured on the seed package looked like white egges with purple markings. I was itching to start some full sized cherry tomatoes, but, as everything has to move 80 miles south in August, I resisted.

That's about it for me - plant wise. In other news, my worm bin is going gangbusters. In just a couple months, the bin population has grown significantly. Right now the "guys" are in one Sterlite tub under a side table in the kitchen, but I think I'll be able to expand them to a double decker condo soon, which is neat. Better yet, they are almost to the point of eating all of our weekly compostable kitchen scraps, which was sort of the point of getting them, other than the worm castings, of course.

Hope everyone has an excellent week!

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

It's Monday, with the time change, hope everyone has a good week.
    I don't have anything sprouting. Mainly because I just got them in dirt. Still have most of the plants I saved from winter going. I have made multiple plants from some of those starts. I need to locate more dirt and things to plant in. I should of saved or begged more milk jugs. Think it is suppose to be nicer later this week. Weekend was kind of yucky. I broke down and got some house work done. Really wanted to go shopping for bedding plants but know better than that. I don't have a place to put them until weather is better. I DO NOT need any. I have seeds started. I can't resist in buying a few. Kathy

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I somehow managed to kill my ground cherry seedlings so I'm starting over with those. I had only planted a few so I have more seeds. It was either damping off or my spraying them with Miracle Grow that I didn't take time to measure out.

William - I tried to click on your Boy in a Bubble post and it says "missing file"

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Christie, I never water from the top or spray very young seedlings. I put the plant container in a pan of warm water and let it stand until the top of soil feels damp to the touch.
    If I want to add fertilizer I use a very tiny pinch of fertilizer and stir it around first. Sorry you lost them; it does sound like damp off.

Bottom watering is just more insurance on those fragile things making it.

Is anybody else getting tired of this cloudy, wet and cold weather? I am! I know it's useless to complain but I am doing it anyway.

Everything is on hold here. Still no color on fruit trees (a good thing), haven't found a decent day to spray dormant spray. Still no garden clean up.

I couldn't get William's post either.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Christie, I'm so glad you mentioned that to William. I have been having problems with my computer, so I went to add/remove and removed what I thought was the offender, then I came here, and had problems with that particular post. Thought I'd messed up again!!
    I dont have a thing started this year, so i'll be at the mercy of a greenhouse for my few plants.Will feel strange..
    I'm going to have a few tomatoes on my deck, with the flowers--but I can already see myself trying to squeeze juat one more plant into the pot.
    Notice how green the grass is now? Horses are already preferring to pasture to the hay-and chickens are laying again-6 eggs yesterday (and 2 people!!)
    Blackbirds are back on the pond--wish I could get rid of the cattails that they nest in-the racket they make drowns even the peepers out.
    And--do you realize its getting close to Hummingbird time? Do you have your sugar stocked up?
    Anyone that just HAS to spring clean, are welcome to my house--

Enjoy..

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Ahhhhh, the joys of living in the country.........the pump went out yesterday afternoon. We are awaiting the pump men to return and pull it and see what is what.

I replaced the aluminum storm window with a wood framed window over the cold frame and moved cabbages, broccoli, and lettuce all outside. I figure the overcast day will allow me to leave them out full time now. I will watch the nighttime temps carefully though.

Speaking of chickens, we are getting a dozen almost daily! Just the two of us also, but I will give the children all of the extras this weekend. It is a rare occasion that they are both here at the same time but will be next weekend.

It is so foggy out this morning that we can't see beyond the yard.

I am still waiting for the first Purple Martins to show up. I hadn't even been thinking of the hummers or the Baltimore Orioles.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I look forward to the Rose-breasted Grossbeaks returning. I've kind of taken the attitude that if a plant is going to cause me worry about surviving in this Ozarks wild weather, I'd rather not have the plant in my garden. I collect Hosta and some of them are coming up already. I used to worry about a freeze, and run out and cover them up. Now I relax and if a freeze zaps them, I just cut them to the ground and let them start all over. My wife is tickled by my planting method. When I am done, I say "good luck buddy". Don't get me wrong, I obviously love my garden, I just try not to worry about weather that I can't control, rabbits I can't stop, Japanese beetles eating my plants, or a plant that is not tough enough to make it in SWMO. Stop by and say hi sometime.

• helenh
    14 years ago

swmogarden I believe the part about not worrying and not planting things that are fussy, but I don't believe the walk away and fend for yourself part. You have a well tended garden. You can come here but you would need a valium first because a neat person like you would not be able to take my yard.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

swmogarden your pictures are always welcome. Gives me something to work towards. You have such pretty gardens.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

helen, that is funny about the valium first! I may host my old high school buddies next fall........all but one lives in town and one in a very fancy gated community. My farm will be a shock to their systems!

I did have a load of round bales in the east yard for about a month. DH has finally moved them. I would have to re-learn civilization to move back to the city!

• helenh
    14 years ago

Glenda I think your farm would be refreshing. Bake them some bread and let them wash with your soap. You will have them subscribing to Mother Earth News and getting a milk cow.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I just realized I have never touched a cow. I have never lived where I had to "drive into town". I garden on a 1/3 acre lot. If I had more, I would be broke! I remember visiting a farm once as a kid. I couldn't believe how HUGE pigs were. I pictured a small animal, kind of pink, with a curly tail. The pigs I saw were gigantic (to a kid).I cause stares when I drive my Caddy full of twigs, leaves and branches to the yard waste. Here is the front half of ALTA BIRDSONG, my garden.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Very beautiful. I like the teal accent color and the six sided I think room. The trees don't look like you got the ice storm. That is all the yard you need to keep you very busy. Get an old pick up and save your caddy.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I too like the teal. One of my "don't likes" is white garage doors. They are so stark and almost never blend with the house.

I used to have pretty trees. SOB The ice storm changed that.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Beautiful house and gardens! You have done a fantastic job with everything.

I suspect even if I did have the house and city lot, it wouldn't look like yours!

I do envy you the beautiful trees. Most of ours still look like a war zone when the leaves are gone.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I got clobbered in the ice storms of 07. I lost 2 young oaks, a mature pine, a tulip poplar, and a mature sugar maple and birch. Plus loads of huge broken limbs. The majority of my trees are hedge apples and they are very tough. What really got me was the Easter freeze of 07. It looked like my garden was sprayed with herbicide. I lost 38 Japanese maples and had many more damaged. I really hope that was a once in a lifetime event.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I bet you have jealous neighbors. Beautiful!

We have hedge apples too and I agree that they're pretty tough but you're lucky they didn't just completely fall over. I think we had four hedge trees that did that. One was already leaning before the ice storm though. We lost several trees in the ice storm but I believe the hedge were the only ones that were completely uprooted. Not good if they're close to your house. Ours weren't thank goodness. I said we lost eight trees in the post below but I left out a mulberry tree that had half a trunk with no limbs after the storm. We cut that one down too.

You must've been so heartbroken about your Japanese Maples.

It got colder last night than they predicted. Hope it doesn't do that tonight. I'd rather it stayed above freezing.

I saw two coyotes out in our field this morning. My dogs were going nuts. The pair stood and watched our dogs from a distance for a few minutes. That's the first time I've ever seen two together here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old post after ice storm damage

• helenh
    14 years ago

Now I know why you made the comment about plant it and it is on its own. You are still mourning and trying to deal with the loss of your J. maples. I have hedge but mine is not attractive. It needs to be trimmed up but its thorns stop me. Mine have big hedge apples that fall.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

Yes, the Easter freeze of 07 is what made me realize that weather is always going to win. After that I quit worrying so much about plants survival. I love my garden and my plants, but if one can't survive the Ozarks weather, goodbye. Today for instance it was 92 degrees in 1906 and 5 in 1972. I can't do anything about the weather so, "good luck buddy" it is. In the fall I have "the hedge wars". The trees drop hedge balls as big as croquet balls or grapefruits. Every year some tree under them loses a limb or a hosta gets flattened. You should hear them when they hit the roof. On windy days I wear a hard hat while in the garden. By the way............HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING!!

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, its Sunday morning--and we only got about .15 inches of rain, its 37 degrees, and wind is from the north at 35 MPH.
    So, my Magnolias survived last night, lets hope they do tonight. Big buds are showing color, white on one, pink on the other.
    No garden in, I believe everyone will be suprised at that!
    We are putting a roof on the deck off the bedrooms next week or so- I love our decks, but in summer cant use them untill after 3 PM, when the house finally shadows it.
    I want it done before the humming birds arrive, so wont scare them off--feeder outside bedroom door has been the first one they look for, over 42 years. (LOL-obviously, not the same bird)
    Think I'm experencing a "burn out" phrase-I even made a cake from a mix that fell last week--and lemon pudding isnt good if you add 2 1/4 cups sugar-instead of water!!! Hate to think what I would do to baby seedlings.
    I love the pics of your garden, swmogardens. mine is spread out too far to enjoy.
    I moved a garden shed in last fall, it will have the front facing my raised beds. On the back side, that can be seen fron the road, I'm going to PAINT a garden, then I have a window thats 6' square, with tiny panes about 6"x6" that I'm going to hang over it--make sense to anyone?
    I'm also trying my hand at bowling ball art-making unbreakable gazing balls for my garden.
    Winter planning--Springs almost here in reality--not just the calendar.

• helenh
    14 years ago

SW the hosta /purple heuchera combo is beautiful. Ceresone you are getting a lot done. I wouldn't know who to get or how to plan the moving of a shed or a roof on the deck. You will have to send us a picture of your painted shed when it is done. The absentminded sugar measuring is something I would do; you aren't getting a restful sleep I think. I can't believe the difference in our weather. My DISH is covered in snow and the hungry birds are crowding my feeders. I have more kinds of birds than in winter. There was even a Phoebe out there yesterday and big grackles and cow birds in flocks. There is a red breasted bird maybe just a robin but I didn't quite recognize it.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

We have about 2 inches of sleet, snow and ice mix on everything and it is still raining a little. Very slushy and messy. At least it didn't get as cold as predicted so I just left my plants out in the cold frame without additional cover. I may toss a blanket over them tonight.

Company is all gone and I will spend the rest of the day in my easy chair!

Ceresone, I think your new plans sound very interesting. Please keep us updated on them. I love the idea of the painted shed and the bowling balls. I don't do crafty things.......too lazy.

glenda

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

There's not a whole lot to do today outside except smile and be glad that everything was still covered up this weekend. I moved some leaves away from a crown in asparagus bed and found one coming up! Yea!! And Yum!

The greenhouse still needs daily watering, even with the foam panels up. I go in there in the afternoon and soak up the heat -- feels good to old bones.

Speaking of old bones, I had left knee replaced first of March. Still in rehab for another month, but I just know gardening is going to be much, much less painful this summer. I'll try to keep a better fertilization schedule this season and not grow so many kinds of heirloom tomatoes.

I do wish I had a place to grow poppies. We had a field in back of our house when I was a little girl and it was just filled with poppies, all colors. I'd bring bouquets home to my mother every day because they were gonegonegone after a little while of being picked. I think they are fantastic looking.

Also, Ceresone, I sure like the idea of your flower painted shed and the window. Please post photos when it's a reality!

Sunny

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been sick for two weeks. While I never get the flu, it could have been or food poisoning. Finally well.

Was able to weed one garden plot yesterday. Felt so good to be out in the yard. So much to do, and I just know that it is going to get away from me as I have weeds everywhere.

Sunny, hope your knee gets well soon and that it doesn't cause you problems gardening.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

swmo Your yard is beautiful! I'm curious of how your yard dealt with that last blast of cold air and put it in the ground and fend for yourself is not a very conservative attitude! I don't want or intend to be mean but would like to see current pictures if not too depressed. Our weather is "If you don't like it then wait till tomorrow!" It just changes that fast and I could not afford a yard like that if 'I' had to keep it up myself until well into spring.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths