Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hay Bale Cold Frame

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 6:39

I finally got outside yesterday to do some gardening chores.

The first thing on the list was the cold frame. I need to get the cabbages and broccoli and onions out in some sun.

I did leave the dirt on the storm windows to screen a little sun out. It will help harden the plants off without burning them. I always kept a shade cloth on the greenhouse when I had it up.

From Gardening 2010

I also pruned all the blackberries. That is a dangerous job! Those thorns can go through any glove, but I got it done. Now I want to put down some mulch between the tangle to keep down the weeds.

I finished my amateur job of pruning the fruit trees and tied down some limbs in a more horizontal direction that is supposed to help encourage fruiting.

No spraying yet but I am ready for that too.

I see a lot of perennials popping through the leaves but still no daffodils in bloom.

I still am not cleaning off all the flower beds.

This same time last year,daffs were blooming, plums were 3/4 open, apricot had some blooms, forsythia was in bloom,and color was showing on the flowering quince! Sure hope we can delay all that so the freeze which will be inevitable won't hurt everyting again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hay Bale Cold Frame

Glenda, I was "thinking" about several trees that still need pruning, but yesterday noticed the nectarine is in full bud-any of yours?

o

No. I have been watching them closely because they bloomed about this time last year and I lost them all due to freezes.
Not even any color on the plums or apricot which bloom before anything.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Glenda

o

glenda- isn't it great to be able to do things that most know nothing of????

william

o

I am thinking of getting some straw and making a cold frame like that. I have used black stock tanks before with a big window over it. I have to get some things outside to make more room for tomatoes inside.

o

William,

Necessity is the mother of invention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here