Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

My first outside Gardening

gldno1
13 years ago

I began cleaning off the kitchen garden yesterday afternoon. It was a great day for that. I am too lazy to do it in the fall then I have to get really busy in the Spring.

I pulled all the vines off the garden fence and cleaned dead things off about half the area. I may burn most of it today and spread the ashes around.

The row of garlic looks good but needs hoeing today.

Do any of you do veggie gardens?

Comments (14)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I have a row of garlic as well. It's my first time growing garlic. Do you need to loosen the ground around it?
    I also have artichokes, celery, cauliflower, rutabagas, turnips, spinach mustard and 3 kinds of lettuce planted and have seeds for brussel sprouts and several kinds of tomatoes just waiting for the right time.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Oops I forgot jalapeno and tabasco peppers and just thought you're probably hoeing the chickweed and hensbit!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

taz, how did you guess! I have never seen henbit this bad!At least I saw some honeybees on it today.

In fact, that is why I hoed the row of garlic to get the henbit and some other tiny little blue flowered weed out of the row. If the soil is compacted it wouldn't hurt to hoe it.
    Mine is looking pretty good.

That is all I have in. It is way too early for me. The last of March will be my earliest seeding and planting.

Today I tilled the east end of the kitchen garden.
    I don't plant warm season things until mid-May.

It was another beautiful day.

You can see the garlic row off to the left of the hoop frame.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I've got it bad too. If it weren't for the henbit and chickweed there wouldn't be anything green in my yard. lol!

Check out this page I just found on chickweed uses.

• helenh
    13 years ago

That brown dirt looks good to me. Where are your rocks? I have many onion sets and I have two bunches of onion plants which I prefer. I love green onions. I hope it isn't too early for those.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helen, in all fairness to the rocks situation, this was the previous owners garden for many years. She had removed the significant ones....but she was a chemical fanatic and this soil would crack open when it was hot and dry. It has taken me since 1992 of mulching, tilling organics to get it in the shape it is in today.l

However, when I did the new garden last year I will just thrilled at how few rock
    we turned up.

I plant as if we lived in the north part of the state so it is a little early for me to plant anything.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Taz, it sounds like it would good for many of my ills! I looked for henbit....it was missing in action.

So far, I haven't seen any chickweed here.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Glenda had I known about chickweed in previous years I would have eaten lots of it if I like the taste. I pulled and threw out many 5 gallon buckets full last year. I'll be trying it soon enough and let you know what I think. I've got several patches of both.

Here's my little row of garlic and some planted in a container.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Who knew? (about henbit) lol I've cussed it for years, but have a lot more respect for it now. That article is now on my favorites. I've been pulling it, cutting it up and putting in the compost bin. Perhaps I'll make a tea or infusion tomorrow when I don't have to go out in public. It might put me in an embarrasing situation, with all those uses! I could use feeling like a New Woman.
    Sunny

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Sunny it's chickweed that's edible. It's the vine like stuff growing next to the henbit in my pics. I haven't found anything about henbit being edible so I wouldn't try it.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I tried it raw and didn't like it. I'll have to read the new woman information maybe a little oil and vinegar would help.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Henbit?

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Well, I think you saved me, Helen. Back to the drawing board for me -- but I'm still open to the New Woman-ness, if anyone has any suggestions. Oil and vinegar would help anything.

You all go first and let me know, okay? lol
    Sunny

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I love the pics. It's always so interesting to see other's gardens.

I too was wondering about the rocks, lol.

I too am overgrown with henbit this year, and honestly, was blaming myself for not getting it under control last year. I guess I'm glad to know it's not just me.

I've been doing some clean-up of last year's crabgrass, and we put down some pre-emergent for it this week. I'm determined to win that war this year.

I'm not doing an official veggie garden this year but will be putting in a few veggies amongst my flowers.

I'm also pleased to say I finally started a gardening journal so I can keep track of blooming times, weeds, fertilizers, plantings, etc. I'm pretty pleased with myself.