Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

What's Happening?

gldno1
12 years ago

Not much activity around here; everyone must be outside taking advantage of this warm weather.

Finally a sensible weatherman told us not to jump the gun and plant our tender things now unless we were prepared to replant in case of a freeze.

I am planting according to my normal times. I sure don't want to do it twice!

Here peaches, plums and apricots are in full bloom and one pear, the Kieffer, is fully opened. I know they will probably be hit by a hard freeze before May so I am just enjoying them as flowering trees.

This is the split peach tree in the garden that is still going strong. I am sure glad I didn't cut it down.

Last fall I planted my whiskey barrel with white tulips and blue hyacinths. I had to lay a flake of hay over them to keep the cats out and I forgot to remove it early enough so I delayed one side of the hyacinths. Finally the tulips opened; I was afraid they wouldn't open at the same time as the hyacinths. I have this barrel outside the back door so I get to smell it every time I go in and out.

Comments (4)

• helenh
    12 years ago

Very nice. What kind of potting mix did you use in your barrel? I tried that once and the bulbs rotten. I used Miracle Grow. We have had a dry winter though. I have several whiskey barrels holding perennials. I will have to try the bulbs in pots idea again because that way you can get them close to your door and more visible to enjoy in early spring. The peach is beautiful. All my flowering trees are white except for the many redbuds in the valley behind my house.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have had that mix in the barrel for so long, I don't remember what it was but probably a professional mix by Fafard that I got from my sis when she had the green house.
    I filled the barrel half way with something else so it wouldn't take so much dirt which also made the drainage very good. I wonder if that greenhouse near you all in Joplin wouldn't have a super bagged mix? I am not a fan of Miracle Grow but my sis tells me she is using it now.....

Bulbs that the underground critters eat have to be planted in containers or they don't even make it to Spring.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Your peach tree and barrel are both beautiful Glenda! I'll be really surprised if we don't get another hard freeze. I hate that. Poor peach farmers.

Lowe's had Cherokee Purple tomatoes in four inch pots and I bought a couple. I was tempted to plant them but I'm going to try to be patient. It would be easier to bring them in if it freezes instead of trying to cover them.

• helenh
    12 years ago

I didn't take good care of my wall of water devices. If I find them and can clean them up, I will put out some early tomatoes. I haven't got any holes prepared. I have big rocks covered by loads of old cow manure. The old barn dirt is very light and drains well with the pure creek gravel that I have for soil underneath. When I can, I dig out a big hole and remove the rocks. That is a s l o w process. When I do that those tomato plants do much better. I do that job in nice cool weather and it already too hot except in the mornings. I put asparagus in my last big hole. All that work for plants it takes me a couple of minutes to buy.

Christie the virburnum you sent me has buds. Last year was hard on it so I am glad to see the buds. Sunny the cuttings you gave me are still on the windowsill in the basement. I forgot what you said about the green coleus looking plants. They are alive but it is too early to get them out of there. You should put your new coleus in your greenhouse and take cuttings. By the time it is safe to put them out you should have roots on the cuttings.