Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Web Worms are here!

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 8:12

I bet Japanese beetles can't be far behind.

These were both in two different peach trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Web Worms are here!

I have them in quince and a couple spots in the crab apple.

o

They are thick here in the wild cherries Out Beyond our property, and we've found quite a few in our own woods. They almost defoliated a little black cherry before we found it and got into the top of our weeping cherry. Gone now!

Sandy

o

Yep, I'm just sick. Our new little peaches are at risk of being wiped out by the web worms I found on the end of her branches. What are you using to kill them? Especially when you can't reach the killers?

o

Long stick, just pulling them out of the tree and stomping on the nasty things. I hate them.

Opening up their nest helps the birds get access to them, too. If you do spray, you still have to open up the nest or the spray just runs off it.

Sandy

o

I'm glad you started this thread, Glenda. In the past, the webs were high up in the non-fruit trees and it seems like it was much later in the summer.

Yesterday I saw a web in my innocent little weeping cherry tree in the front yard and was horrified. Sandy, I picked up a stick and wrapped the web around it. They are the most disgusting things I have ever seen. I didn't have any spray with me and some fell to the ground. Was able to step on some, but not all. They were all in/on the web and I didn't see any damage to the foilage.

Please don't tell me the survivors will crawl up the trunk and make a new web??? If so, will Sevin spray get them as it does the Japanese Beetles?
Sunny

o

Sunny the ones in the non fruit trees that appear late in the summer are a different critter. Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: tent caterpillars

o

Most any bug spray kills them, if you don't get them stomped on. The things gross me out.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here