Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Swallowtails showing up and snakes

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

I saw two Black Swallowtails yesterday. If we don't get another freeze this spring, it should be a good year for butterflies. I think some will get in an extra generation when there's a long season like this.

I've also seen a few snakes. I came around the corner of my back yard and almost stepped on a big Black Snake. I think it scared the snake as much as me because it started buzzing/rattling like they do when they're ticked off. I've seen two Garter Snakes also.

Accuweather is forecasting 90 degrees for Sunday April 1st. NOAA says just 83 though. Seeing that 90 was a good reminder that I need to get my outside work caught up before it gets too hot to go outside.

Comments (10)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I have been walking everywhere not thinking of snakes. Of course they are out but out of sight out of mind. I have millions of dark toad tadpoles in my little pond and now the big green frogs are having a rendezvous. I have quite a few big yellow swallowtail butterflies. I got my first tick yesterday. Honey is full of them but he has escaped twice and I think is chasing rabbits. He will not come when I call and runs until he is exhausted. Usually he comes when I call which with the OUT command is his only good behavior.

• helenh
    12 years ago

There is a striped snake in one of my stock tanks that I use for saving water. I'll bet he is after frogs.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I haven't seen any snakes yet, but quite a few butterflies and lots of toads and frogs. A few box turtles too. Scads of blue skinks.

A luna moth hatched out at Ozark Nursery the other day, it was hanging on a post in the shade house. So beautiful!

• gldno1
    12 years ago

No snakes (that we have seen) here either. I have seen flies, wasps, carpenter bees, a few honey bees....and web worms already.

DH found a tick on him; so far, I haven't found one and I have been buried in brush cleaning out the berry patch.

There is chickweed back there 2 feet high. I think the chickens like it better than the henbit.

• helenh
    12 years ago

It is big enough to eat a copperhead. It didn't run away. I think it would let me pull it for a weed.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Pretty snake! We saw some out on the glades today, on private property, a couple of big black snakes. And the ticks are thick out there. I have had quite a few even on our own property, mostly small seed ticks at this time of year. Reminds me I need to check my cat, she is a tick magnet.

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've never seen one of those Helen. If it eats your copperheads, it'a a keeper though.
    My husband and I are tied at one tick each. Hope they're not worse than usual this year because of the warm winter.

Luna moths are beautiful! I think I've only seen one since we've lived here. I'm waiting on a Cecropia to emerge that I raised last fall. I kept it outside over winter so it wouldn't emerge too soon and just brought it back inside yesterday because I don't want to miss it when it hatches out. It's seems strange that those things could freeze solid over winter in their cocoons and still be ok.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Lots of ticks in my own yard, I had four today alone and was just cleaning out beds. Cat had five. Time for the spray tomorrow!

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    12 years ago

helenh, I think that might be a speckled king snake, not sure. Very good to keep around.

• helenh
    12 years ago

Yes that is what I call it. It can eat another snake just a few inches shorter than itself. A kid years ago in a biology class was keeping two king snakes in a cool environment. I don't know what his experiment was but he had them out and when they warmed up the bigger one ate the smaller one. They ran warm water on it and made it spit the small one out or back off from it. I witnessed some of the drama and will always remember the incident.