Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

We saw a Bald Eagle!

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

We saw a Bald Eagle this morning! We were on our front porch and it flew right over our house. My kids got to see it too. That's the first time we've EVER seen one except for seeing them at the zoo.

We don't have any trees large enough for them to nest in on our property but maybe there's one somewhere close-by and we'll see it again. ALL the trees around here are shorter than they used to be after that ice storm so I wonder if that may have changed their nesting places a little.

Comments (14)

• peaceofmind
    17 years ago

That is so exciting Christie! I saw one a few years ago in my hometown of Mountain View. I spend a lot of time trying to identify the big birds of prey that fly around my place and even with the bird book I can't figure out what they are. But when I saw the bald eagle I knew immediately what it was. I didn't get to see it fly though. I envy you that experience.
    I think you are right about the absence of so many trees changing the birds habits and also opening it up so we can see them better. When I got up and looked out the window this morning there were cardinals sitting on the stumps of trees we'd had to cut down. They made a thing of beauty out of a sad situation. Anise

• gldno1
    17 years ago

That is exciting and I know exactly how you feel. Last year my husband has just left the house and was driving west when he called on the cell phone and told me to get to the west window with the binoculars fast! Down in the west lot near the pond sat a bald eagle perched right by the water in a large tree. He sat there for maybe 4 hours or so. We haven't seen him (or her) since.

We also catch fleeting glimpses of a pileated (woody) woodpecker in our west yard. He is magnificent and so much fun to watch him attach the rotted stumps there.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

We use to see bald eagles where we camped in SE OK.

gldno1, I hope the pilated woodpecker adopts you. They are such funny birds to watch. We've had one for several years. I call him baby. He learned how to drink out of one of my hummingbird feeders. That was so funny and when i would walk through the woods he would follow along and fuss at me. He 's still around and fusses at me in my garden sometimes.

He loves a mixture i make for the birds of peanutbutter,lard,cornmeal,oatmeal, raisons and sunflower seeds. I mix it up and spread it on tree branches.

• gldno1
    17 years ago

I think I will try the suet mixture for the stump. We love to watch him, but he just comes now and again and doesn't stay long.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

In the 23 years that we have lived up here, I have only seen bald eagles 2 or 3 times. The first time a cousin called to tell me they were up the hill above us. I quickly drove up and saw them briefly.
    Pileated woodpeckers are common in our woods. I see two or more at a time frequently. I've tried to get pics of them, but they are too skittish. The pics that I got are too far away.

Hi, gld! A friend relayed your message on to me from that other forum. I am no longer going there!

Marian

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't seen the eagle again yet. I've been watching for it though.

I've never ever seen a pileated woodpecker but would love to. Isn't there another large woodpecker in Arkansas that's endangered? I can't remember the name.

• ceresone
    17 years ago

We've had the golden Eagle nesting on our place for about 7 years now, but the other day, i was taking a short cut cross-country on my way to Mtn View, and I got to see a fight, TWO!! Bald Eagles fighting with a gold, think they might have been going over, and accidentally flew into the Gold's airspace!!
    Two years ago, one evening, late fall, hubby and I were privledged to see 8 pileated woodpeckers, flying one after the other--think they might have been migrating-- so much you can see if you stay in tune with Mother Nature.
    Have you noticed all the geese going north? Spring? Maybe, I hope?

• amazon
    17 years ago

I live right on the James River and I'm lucky enough to see Bald Eagles all the time. It is really cool. Did you know the Sycamore tree is the only tree around here tall enough for them to nest in? Plant a Sycamore and save our National Bird.

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to say wecome to Marian!

• oakleif
    17 years ago

christie, Its the Ivory Billed Woodpecker thats almost extenct. It's almost identical to the pilated woodpecker except the white in the wings is different but i don't know exactly how.
    It was'nt long ago they discovered some in southern AR.

I've been missing the geese i've got to stay outside more, i dearly love to see and hear them.

It is great to see and hear every bit of nature that happens your way. Sort of like a miracle.

I've got to brag on my chihuahua mix. She treed a squirrel. Of course it was only 20 ft. from the house and i was there. I have a 5 lb. squirrel dog. LOL
    vickie

• genea
    17 years ago

Oh yes, we get to see them at Udall/Lick Creek and up river. When we look back at the video, we found, I was always humming the National Anthem:) Once we saw a dive and fish catch and go to the top and eat. Ain't life grande?:)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Genea - Welcome to the Ozarks forum! I confess - I don't know where Lick Creek or Udall is. Sounds like you have a country home though. What kind of gardening do you like?

• alyson19
    17 years ago

A few months ago on our way home from church we were crossing the bridge over the Sac River in Black Jack, Missouri. We looked down on the gravel bar and saw 6 or 7 bald eagles just sitting there!!! One of them was in a tree. We see at least one bald eagle along the river 2 or 3 times a month. I just love bald eagles and find the extremely amazing!

• finchelover
    16 years ago

I had my hubby take me into Missouri to see if we would see any Bald Eagles @ the Lake we saw 4 and I was very pleased. Today he said guys were telling him at area by where our children went to High school there were about 20..I guess coming thru,no lake there. They said they watched the Eagles swoop down and get the geese. That's nature balancing. I love both. When I go out and hear the sounds of ducks and geese I stop and look to see if I can spot them in the sky.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio