Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Early Spring?

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

I saw a white magnolia blooming yesterday and a row of quince just starting to bloom. I don't have either of those in my yard so I don't know if that's earlier than normal but I suspect it is. Just checked the 15 day forecast on Accuweather.com and not a frost in sight.

I've seen some other trees blooming too, maple I think and don't know what's normal for them either.

Hope we don't have a repeat of the early spring/late freeze combo that we got in '07. I've been trying to remember what I lost that year.

Comments (8)

• helenh
    12 years ago

I don't think my yard is early because it is so dry here and has been all winter. I have quince buds opening but this is about the right time for them. I hope we get the rain that is forecast for tomorrow.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I am worried about the same thing!

I have pink blossoms open fully on the peach trees, just a scattering and I see the top of the apricot tree is blooms out, as well as the plums.....it does not bode well for fruit again this year.......maybe apples?

My white quince isn't open yet but showing color.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

My tulip magnolia has been blooming for several days now, and it is at least two weeks early, usually about the first week in April. Lots of flowering quince in the Joplin area, and I notice that the redbuds in the yard are showing color. Even the weeping cherry is about to bloom. I haven't checked the dogwoods but I wouldn't be surprised to see that the buds are beginning to open. They have been cracked a little bit for over a month. Some of the trees are already greening up too.

And the lawn needs mowed already!

Sandy

• helenh
    12 years ago

I hope you got the lovely slow rain I got yesterday. If my yard is not early now, I am sure things will be popping out this week. Unless they change it, the forecast says lows will be above 50 all week. It looks like a warm week with some more chances of rain soon. I caught Joplin Lawn and Garden open and got a scoop of mushroom compost. When he scooped it up steam rose out of it and it stinks - just how I like it. Last week I bought a small amount of blue potatoes at Joplin Greenhouse. I cut some of them and let them sprout a little. I hope to get those planted today. The blue potatoes appeal to me because the pigment is supposed to be good for you. I tried them and some other fingerlings last year but didn't have good luck.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Hmmm -- my redbuds are still asleep. Hope it's temporary and not the Big Sleep!! Also, the peach tree is still dormant. Tomorow I plant all these onion plants. My potatoes (Yukon Gold) haven't sprouted yet, but I'm willing to plant them on the 17th, as I always do.

This year I am planting by the moon, at least the vegetables. I always had better crops when I did that.

I'm wondering just where Sweet William is??? Hello William?? I want to know if or how he modified his container planting mix after a season. I was happy with his "recipe", but am always ready to improve.

Fun tomorrow -- warmer and no wind. I feel a leaf burning coming on ---
    Sunny

• helenh
    12 years ago

My white crab apple is blooming. It blooms briefly and is over in a week. Last year I have a picture of it in full bloom April 5th.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunny - Redbuds bloom before they leaf out - so if yours are too young to bloom, I think it's normal for them to still look dead. Otherwise, you may be in trouble. Have you been seeing other redbuds blooming where you are?

I'm pretty sure my little crab apple is dead. : (
    It was one I grew from seed several years ago that had pink flowers.

I have serviceberries blooming now and just a few flowers on my Balaton Cherry but there are quite a few buds that haven't opened yet.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

The redbuds are now doing their thing -- plus two gifts from Mother Nature of little redbud saplings where I would plant them anyway. The sapling I relocated earlier still hasn't done anything.
    I went bananas with Georgia Sweet onions and Candy onions this year and have a whole bed of them. Hope they are as good as last year! Planted my lettuces and chard plants and tomorrow will plant the Black Beauty eggplants and snow peas. So so so tempted to put the little tomato plants in, but I'm going to use my head -- it is not even April yet. And I got sunburned today!
    Wish I had a magnolia, but don't know where I'd put it. They are so lovely.
    Sunny

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting