Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Have you seen any hummingbirds yet?

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

I put up a couple feeders this week even though I know it's too early. Any hummingbirds in Arkansas yet?

Comments (28)

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

was going to ask the same thing. put mine out last week!

william

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

I've always believed that they follow the blooming of the red buds. They should be flowering now, right? I always felt that as soon as they first started to show leaves THAT'S when I got my first hummer...

I'm so jealous! No hummingbirds in Guam, but the butterflies are back and the mango trees are blooming...

My in-laws should be on their way to our place by now...Mom in law will put out feeders as soon as she gets there and send me pictures. Can't wait!

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

No hummingbirds in Adair Co Ok yet. Haven't seen bluebirds since last fall either, or indigo buntings, but the phoebe has the nest under the shed eave refurbished. Dorothy

• pamcrews
    16 years ago

Early last week Ron Hurst on KY3 showed a migration chart and the little hummers were real close to the AK/MO line. He encouraged all to put their feeders up. Mine is going up this weekend...don't want those cute little things flying through town without a little snack to help them on their way.
    Pam

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think there's always a few that venture ahead while the others stay down south where food is more abundant. The map shows that there's been a couple sightings in Missouri but I don't expect to see any for awhile.
    Fourseasons - Our redbuds aren't blooming here yet. I'm going to take note of when they do this year though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Migration Map

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

Christie: Thank you for sending the link to the migration map again ... I had lost that in the move!

I tell you, though, that map drove me crazy every year! I'd check it faithfully every night, and every night (almost) those "dates" of first sightings would be surrounding me more and more...and I'd get more and more pissed off because I didn't have any sighting yet. You know, you just keep chanting, "Come on guys, come on...I'm waiting for you."

I am ALMOST postive now, it has to do with those redbud trees just starting to leaf out... I moved to Pennsylvania when I was first starting to make that connection but lost track because up there it had a very different rhythmn of seasons which I wasn't there long enough to get a hang of yet.

Please do watch your redbuds and tell me if I'm right about my "just around leafing time" theory...

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

you mean like this?

william

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

William: I can't tell on the photo, but do you see little green leaves starting to come out? If so, my theory would be to get the hummingbird feeder hanging on that tree! Have you seen any yet?

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

I really like your "some kind of trellis" picture. AGAIN, I will show that to hubby to explain my idea of where that should go in our yard :)

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

just buds, no leaves and no hummers as of yet!

glad you like the trellis. running out of ideas.

william

• beerhog
    15 years ago

Had my first hummer today. I am located in Paris. It is about half way between Fort Smith and Russellville.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Fantistic! I wonder how long it's going to take to get them to my neck of the woods! I have feeders up waiting for the little things.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

saw my first hummer yesterday.

william- yellville

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

And are your redbud trees leafing out? You can be honest if my theory is stupid ... I just have to know :)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any yet or orioles, but I put out a feeder for the orioles yesterday. Mysteriously, about 1/3 of the nectar is gone from one hb feeder. It is right by the kitchen sink window and yet I have seen nothing.

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

My DH saw one a week ago today. I didn't see it until a couple of days ago. Since our honeysuckles aren't open yet, I put out a feeder. In just a few minutes it was being visited by more than one hummer. :-)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still haven't seen any hummingbirds. My redbuds are blooming but don't have leaves yet.

Gld - I wonder if squirrels or something figure out how to chug the nectar. Some places have trouble with bats getting the nectar at night but I don't think we have the right kind of bats for that here.

Marian - I was going to ask if there were honeysuckles blooming yet. I planted Dropmore Scarlet last year and have an Alabama Crimson to put out this year. Wish I had a shrub or something that blooms early that they would like.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

no leaves on my redbud trees.

william

• oakleif
    15 years ago

2 hummers here. redbuds just about through blooming and dogwoods just starting.
    vickie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

They are back! I was cooking breakfast and noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye and saw the shadow through the kitchen curtain. So far, seems to just be one male....We are 5 miles northwest of Willard, Mo. The redbud is in full bloom, need to check the leaves....

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Thanks for the report gldno1. Willard is about an hour south from me here in Camdenton, Lake of the Ozaks. I've had a hummingbird feeder up for 3 weeks now and then only think I've had on it was a woodpecker....I'll be on the lookout!

Pam

• missfourseasons
    15 years ago

Well..I guess my theory is shot then! My inlaws are at our place for the summer now and they saw a hummer in our yard but no leaves on the redbuds there either...Hubby says, just say it's around tax time that they show up and leave it at that... Leave it to a man to take all the mystery out of nature LOL !!

Enjoy those little guys, ya'll ... I sure miss them!!

• gldno1
    15 years ago

This morning spotted a male and a female!

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Hooray! Finally one came to visit my feeder today.....and saw my first butterfly for the season. Who says Monday's can't be good days? HA....

Pam

• fuzzy
    15 years ago

Hummingbirds have been visiting our feeder in Harrison (N Central AR, near MO border) for at least 10 days or so.

(Redbuds are starting w/ their leaves here, but weren't when the hummers showed up ten days ago.)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally saw a hummingbird this afternoon. I guess it's not that late but I was a little worried that I wouldn't have any this year.
    I also saw a Baltimore Oriole this afternoon. That's about a week earlier than last year. He went to one of my hummingbird feeders but I didn't see him on the Oriole feeder yet. I put orange slices in my dogwood tree a couple days ago but they're looking a little dry.

• semajic
    13 years ago

Had one at the feeder this morning. In Ozark county Missouri.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

None here yet. I think it was April 19 last year.

Sponsored