Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it to early to plant potatoes ?

Posted by tadsie 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 9:49

I've been told to wait til St. Patrick's Day,but it's so warm and the forcast looks good. Should I do it or wait? Thanks ,Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it to early to plant potatoes ?

If you plant too early, you risk them coming up and a normal frost killing them back to ground. They usually come back, but nothing is gained by the early planting, because they have to regrow.
I am surprised by the St. Pat's day date for your zone 5, I have always heard that was the date for my zone 6.

o

Hi, I live in northern oklahoma and I planted potatoes this last weekend. I always plant the first week of march if weather permits and have not had a problem, even if there is a frost you already have a root system in place and the foilige comes right back within a few days.
One year my potatoes got frosted 3 times and still made a good crop
Gary

o

I bought a few seed potatoes and planted them on the soil and covered with straw. I've done this before and it worked. I am only really interested in the new potatoes which you can find easily under the straw. I have some potatoes (not seed potatoes) that are sprouting. Would there be a reason not to go ahead and plant these too since I am going to throw them away and buy more at the grocery store?

o

Thanks for the answers. I planted some Yukon Gold on the 6th, they're not up yet.I'm planting more as soon as it gets warm this weekend. Then I'll plant some more around the 15th of April. I'll let you know which planting does the best.

o

Hi, Just posting a update, My first row of potatoes which are Yukon Golds are just coming up now, But no sign of the fingerling potatoes yet.
Good luck with your gardens!
Gary

o

Its my first time planting potatoes,the soil is clay here in southern utah.What should i do to get the soil ready?
Its april 17th now,is it to late to plant them?I need help thank you

o

We are in Missouri and Arkansas. You live in a totally different climate. Try the link below. I am not sure the forum is still going; this link is to an old post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Utah forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here