Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jenk's Greenhouse

Posted by sunnyside1 z6/SW Mo. (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 9:51

I got the word Saturday that Jenk's near Diamond, Mo has closed the business. Chris has signed on with Joplin Greenhouse, who has bought the business. This info saved me a long trip out there pretty soon.

I'm sure Chris' experience, added to Curtis' will make Joplin GH one of the best in the area. It's something to look forward to. Lisa, at Milsap Produce said she thought Chris would have some propogated tall Mexican petunias this spring. Hope so! I took a few cuttings from late last year and they are fine, but I love them in a big grouping in the sun.

Also, Botany Shop on 7th in Joplin should have their President canna roots in a couple of weeks. Last year they were huge and juicy -- made lovely plants.
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jenk's Greenhouse

Joplin Greenhouse people have a place outside of Monet where they have lots of room. It has many more plants than the spot near Food For Less. Will they use the land near Diamond for a garden center?

o

I don't know, Helen. I think Jenk's just leased the buildings for a few years. It still may be Shank's Farm in the fall for pumpkins.
Sunny

o

I finally caught MIlsap's open and had fun there. You will have lots of good temptations close to you. I loved the cute little succulent plugs for $1.50 each. I got some rosemary, fennel and parsley and a six pack of strawberries. Also candy onions and leeks and a bag of Ozark Pride potting mix. I am going to research rice hulls on line; they said you use them in raised bed mixes to make the soil light in place of perlite. I didn't buy any yet. Also he said the Jenk's place in Diamond will about like it always was only with their products. It will open in a couple of weeks.

o

Where, or where, can you get rice hulls, Helen? I didn't see them at Milsap. I bought a bag of their potting mix, as well. I'll have to check out the succulents, as my plantings this year will lean towards plants that don't need as much water. The lettuces, radiccio, spinach are still waiting in the big cold frame to be planted out. Wednesday, for sure.
Sunny

o

The rice hulls and pine straw were outside under the roof with the potting mix, cotton hull compost etc. The pine straw was a bit expensive but I liked that they have things I don't see elsewhere. The little succulents are not hardy; they had various shallow pots made up with them like little landscapes. They would easily come inside in winter. I also got some Texas oranges cheap and I don't know if it was the proper price or the boy made a mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here