Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Feed tub for a planter?

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

What do you call those plastic/rubber tubs that livestock feed or something comes in? I was given three that look like they might be 10 gallon size or more, maybe 15.
I was planning to use one to pot up my apricot tree in, now I'm having second thoughts. I'm wondering how long they will last before they crack.
Maybe I should just give in and go buy a container. I need something big though and they're pricey.

Comments (10)

• helenh
    11 years ago

If they are what I think they are, they are bigger than 15 gallons maybe 30 or so. Okiedawn uses them. I have some black tubs that I have had for years. Some of them are tree containers from a nursery, but at least one is from my mother's farm left by renters - a livestock lick tub. Anything for livestock has to be tough. Atwood's has a flyer with half whiskey barrels for about $25.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whiskey barrels are $30 at Lowe's I think. Maybe someone will run them on sale here. I'm a bit worried that the black plastic feed tubs will get too hot in the summer. It's so nice to get them free but I don't want to kill my tree.
    I had more than a month to think about this. Now my apricot tree is here and I'm still undecided and probably will need to go shopping. lol
    It's doubtful that I will ever get enough apricots to justify spending money for a different container. Hope so

• helenh
    11 years ago

I bought some half whiskey barrels at Atwoods today for $25 and some 2 cubic ft. Miracle Grow potting mix for $9.99. I like their look but I have so many pots to water in summer as it is that I really didn't need more. I will probably give one to my dog sitter when I go to my family reunion. They don't have the holes drilled like some I have purchased. It takes me forever to get the holes in with my brace and bit.

• aiwen
    11 years ago

If it's sturdy, just cover the black plastic with burlap so it won't get so hot and will look better. I saw this on pinterest and plan on using the idea myself to hide some ugly plastic pots.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Christie, remember whiskey barrels don't last forever.....they will rot from the inside where the damp soil stays. I think they make a liner for them....I lined mine with a plastic garbage bag.

Why don't you just plant the tree outside. I have had one now for 15 years or more. some years I get a crop; some I don't but every year it is a beautiful tree with heart shaped leaves and white blossoms.

Plant it where it won't get the first morning light which will cause it to bloom earlier. I planted a second tree in the new orchard either last year or the year before.

• helenh
    11 years ago

Glenda did you ever have luck with plums? I planted fruit trees years ago and had success with a dwarf cherry, pears and some dwarf apples. I don't spray on schedule like you do and what eventually killed them was borers and fire blight for the pear. I saw an apricot tree somewhere maybe Lowe's. Are they likely to last longer than peaches and plums. The peaches and plums I planted years ago got borers immediately. How are you keeping your trees alive?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Burlap sounds like a smart idea.
    But now I'm going back and forth on whether I should put it in a container or plant it in the ground. It might be hard to keep it alive for more than a few years in a container if I don't do it right and I probably wouldn't.
    I didn't know the tip about morning shade. I wonder if there's anything else I could do to help it bloom later.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Burlap sounds like a smart idea.
    But now I'm going back and forth on whether I should put it in a container or plant it in the ground. It might be hard to keep it alive for more than a few years in a container if I don't do it right and I probably wouldn't.
    I didn't know the tip about morning shade. I wonder if there's anything else I could do to help it bloom later.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

If I have left the impression that I spray regularly; I am sorry! I try but fail miserably.

I have lost so many trees I have lost count.

I do have one maybe drawf plum tree that is vigorous and bears each year if it doesn't get zapped by frost. I have several pears but still no crop. I like pears because they don't need as many sprays. I just buy ones supposedly resistant to fireblight.

I do have three bearing peach trees. My one apricot now is quite old which is why I planted another in the orchard proper.

Christie I am voting the ground....dragging a large potted tree inside and out would not be my thing. Try to find a semi-sheltered spot away from cold north winds but not on the south side of a building which would cause early bloom.
    Mine is planted on the west side of the milk barn with the old barn maybe fifty feet behind it. It gets late morning sun after it gets over the milk barn. It is getting so old that I am having to saw big dead limbs off now and then. I hate to loose it.

Re: sprays. I think the most important one is the dormant oil that kills off eggs laid the previous season. I still haven't found a good day to do it here.

Fireblight is my worst problem. I have lost several apple trees. I have Liberty planted now which is supposed to be very resistant.

Sour cherries are the best for home planting. I do zero spraying and have a crop every year.

• aiwen
    11 years ago

I agree with gldno about planting in the ground. So much easier to keep watered and we don't want to lug big pots in and out anymore. I refuse to adopt any more plants that can't be left out in the winter! As it is, we have a small lean-to (heated) full of plants, the sunroom indoors full and even the master bath tub is full of plants. Where is the next meeting of Plantaholics Anon?