Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

winter weather is coming

helenh
11 years ago

We have a cold forecast for several days in a row. I am either getting rain or sleet according to the weatherman. I moved a pile of wood by the door yesterday with tarps over it.

Comments (8)

• farm_boy
    11 years ago

About 2 weeks ago I put out some cabbage starts, because they are "cool weather" plants. Then it got down to 18 degrees one night. Oops.

Seeds are cheap, so I planted some more.

I think we can bury some potatoes deep in the garden now, but then just wait until mid-April to plant anything else.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

This afternoon I took the 4-plant flats out of the big cold frame. In there were several varieties of lettuce, parsley, and radiccio. Thank goodness I hadn't planted them yet. The winter-held spinach is wonderful and still in its cold frame. I covered the compost pile with a tarp, as it was as wet as it needed to be. Yesterday the temp on the new pile was up to 80 degrees, so it's getting there. More tender herbs are still in the garage. Nothing showing in asparagus bed yet.

I put straw around the broccoli, bok choy, and Brussels sprouts I had planted. I think they and the onion bed will be okay. Snow peas haven't come up yet, and seed potatoes in brown bags and not yet planted.

I'm sure not looking forward to this (hopefully) last winter storm. At least the dogwoods aren't out here in Joplin yet and the redbud hasn't started. It could be a lot worse, I guess.

Stay warm and safe, everyone. We'll be out there in the warm sun before we know it.
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another weather site.

Here is a link that might be useful: spark

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

We didn't get a lot of snow but it sure came down heavy for a little while. Poor DH still hasn't gotten to try out his snow blower.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is supposed to snow early Sunday morning maybe you'll get some. If anyone has anything planted it is Monday and Tuesday when the cold hits. I have some onion plants planted outside. I am thinking of putting some straw over them but it is kind of miserable out there although above freezing.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

All my new little perennials are inside my studio and inside the back porch waiting for warmer weather. I hope I can get them in next week but then according to the weather, we are supposed to have a few good (but rainy) days, then down in the icebox again for Easter.. Pooey. I do hope we get a couple inches of snow before the really cold temps, to protect the plants outside that are already up.

Sandy

• gldno1
    11 years ago

It is, indeed, snowing at my house this Sunday morning, heavily.
    We got some rain during the night too.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pretty picture, Glenda. I was very lazy this morning. I would have slept in except a certain dog wanted in and out several times. I hope you got enough snow Christie. Now comes the cold. Here is another thing from the OK forum. It only goes through June but I hope it is true.

Here is a link that might be useful: drought outlook