Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

Blooming today, 3/30/10

swmogardens
14 years ago

The flowers have started, here is what is blooming in SWMOgardens today..

Hellebores

Star Magnolia

Lets see yours...

Comments (7)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I think your white hellebores show up more than some of the pinkish colors I've seen. What do they require? My shade places are pretty packed already or I would have tried them by now.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Very nice. I lost my Star Magnolia to the last ice storm. It never returned.

My hellebores have never bloomed but are spreading. I still have hopes.

From Gardening 2010

Right next to it is brunnera 'Jack Frost' just beginning and the tulips in the same bed are budded out. They are pale lemon. I hope they can make it into bloom at the same time.

I just found out my buxus koreana 'Wintergreen' is very fragrant in bloom. The bloom is insignificant but the fragrance is not! I opened the back door and was immediately aware of a new wonderful odor...it was the Wintergreen. I am very pleased about that. I guess it wasn't old enough to bloom until now.

Finally one little clump of grape hyacinth has appeared

and the Erlicheer daffs have begun to open. They were hurt more by the freezes than anything because they send up green leaves way before bloom. They are very fragrant.

All the pics are clickables.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I will have to have that box wood. Where did you find it? My hyacinths were very fragrant this evening, so I have this time of year covered for fragrance. I can never get enough. The frogs and toads are deafening. Now I know why the female toad is so much bigger than the mate. She is absolutely full of eggs. I hope I didn't kill them but I moved strings and strings of eggs to a stock tank. I want to work on cleaning out my pond and I don't want millions of tadpoles in there yet.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I don't think my grape hyacinths are blooming yet. I will check them tomorrow. I don't remember seeing my Jack Frost either. hmmm
    I have helleborus blooming but they do take a long time. The first photos are helleborus foetidus. The purple blooms on the others are pretty up close but they don't show up very well from a distance in the shade.
    I didn't take a photo of it, but I noticed that my bloodroot is blooming today.

• helenh
    14 years ago

You have a nice variety Christie. Your hellebores are loaded with blooms. Do you like them? I have only seen pictures and I saw some under a tree at the Botany Shop. Their flowers were hard to see and they weren't as showy as yours. I think the pink speckled ones are very pretty.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

christie, I am surprised by how all the leaves are different on the helleborus. Do you have yours in some sun. That might be my problem. They are tucked in a northeast corner right next to the back porch. I doubt the sun ever touches them.

Helen, the buxus is the very common one found at WM and all the big box stores. I bought 4 on sale about 3 years ago at W-M in Bolivar. If they have boxwood, it will be this one, I am sure.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I saw hellebores at Lowes and the flowers were green. I may have been looking at the old blooms. There were some whitish flowers on there too. The foliage looked attractive. They were a little expensive but not if they are something that will last and spread. Christie you seem to have lots of them so you must like them. I love columbine but was never impressed with it in the garden centers because I was not seeing all its virtues. I saw Glenda's boxwood but didn't get it because these azaleas grabbed me and made me put them in my cart. I will get a boxwood though one of these days.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!