Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree peony - now what?

Posted by robiniaquest z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 07 at 11:06

I've wanted tree peonies since I was a little kid, but never could justify that kind of expense on something I might end up killing.

But...I was at Wickman's the other day, and they had these great-looking Japanese tree peonies for 19.99, and I just went ahead and got one. It's called 'Hatsugarasu,' one of the so-called 'black' peonies, and it's only about 6-8 inches tall, but VERY healthy-looking with a lot of nice purply top growth on about a 4 inch or so wooden stem.

Now I'm not sure how to deal with it. You read these things need morning sun and afternoon shade, and that they should ideally be planted out in the fall. But, in my experience, a lot of supposedly full sun plants (like some roses and tomatoes, etc.) do a little better if they're not in all day direct sun here. Some 'shade tolerant' roses do better for me in pretty much all day dappled or bright shade. So, I'm wondering if this advice (mostly from Pacific NW sources, it seems like) needs to be adjusted a bit for our area.

Can any of you who have grown these tell me anything that might be helpful? I feel I am out of my league on this. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree peony - now what?

I have visited a local nursery that has hundreds of them planted in full sun and they were huge shrubs, covered in flowers, Mine receive afternoon shade and are shy blooming.
Seems like everytime the large, delicate flowers open, we have a thunderstorm, with gusty winds and the petals wind up in the neighbors yard!
Plant them in well drained, fertile, loamy soil, deep enough that the graft is 4-5" below soil level and keep them watered well the first year. They do not generally require fertilization if planted in rich soil, but a 1-2" top dressing of compost or well rotted manure in early spring, could be beneficial. Avoid any fertilizer with a high Nitrogen content.
Enjoy!
Rb

o

Razorback -

Thanks for your advice. Just a couple more questions - where is that nursery you are talking about? I need to be in NW AR later this week, and would love to go see that. Also - are your tree peonies Japanese or Chinese, and are they fragrant?

Thanks again!
robin

o

Sorry to relate that the nursery closed about the middle of last year. It was adjacent to an Industrial complex that wanted to expand and I guess they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He is a software developer and that was a part time operation for him.
Mine are Chinese Tree Paeonia's, names were in some records destroyed in a fire several years ago, so I don't have a clue! As far as I know, if they are fragrant, I have never noticed, as I have some Confederate Jasmine on an Arbor nearby and it blooms about the same time, overpowering everything else around.
Rb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here