Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robiniaquest

Tree peony - now what?

robiniaquest
17 years ago

I've wanted tree peonies since I was a little kid, but never could justify that kind of expense on something I might end up killing.

But...I was at Wickman's the other day, and they had these great-looking Japanese tree peonies for 19.99, and I just went ahead and got one. It's called 'Hatsugarasu,' one of the so-called 'black' peonies, and it's only about 6-8 inches tall, but VERY healthy-looking with a lot of nice purply top growth on about a 4 inch or so wooden stem.

Now I'm not sure how to deal with it. You read these things need morning sun and afternoon shade, and that they should ideally be planted out in the fall. But, in my experience, a lot of supposedly full sun plants (like some roses and tomatoes, etc.) do a little better if they're not in all day direct sun here. Some 'shade tolerant' roses do better for me in pretty much all day dappled or bright shade. So, I'm wondering if this advice (mostly from Pacific NW sources, it seems like) needs to be adjusted a bit for our area.

Can any of you who have grown these tell me anything that might be helpful? I feel I am out of my league on this. Thanks!

Comments (3)