Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

you want tomatoes?

sweetwm007
16 years ago

here is a pic of an ole boy's place in gassville. he plants about 1200 a season!

william

Comments (6)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

William...in Yellville..
    What does he do with all of those plants? Sell them? I can't imagine anyone growing that many Tomato plants, unless he is a a commercial grower and has a ready source of labor.
    I knew a guy that once rented a city lot behind what was once an old livery stable and planted about 100 plants. He went over behind the levee (Miss. River) and cut Willows to stake them. He started out selling the Tomatoes at 50¢ bu., then 25¢ bu., and finally giving them away, to keep them from falling on the ground. They is no telling how many tons of Tomatoes those 100 or so plants produced.
    By the end of the season, he also had a thriving Willow grove, as every one of his stakes developed roots and became a Willow tree! :

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rb- i just happened to stop by his place last summer. it is right on 412/62 going into gassville. when i saw all the plants in his garden i just had to stop. tomato people ain't too smart [me]. he was hawking plants and tomatoes and many other things. he plants mainly arkansas traveler and saves his own seeds. in his heated hoop house there have been approx. 12,000 seeds planted.

well the guy with the willow trees was probably pretty sharp. goodwill with give away tomatoes and a willow tree orchard to boot. willow tree makes a good rooting hormone also!

william

• outdoor-girl
    16 years ago

That's just nuts! Now I'll pay more attention when driving through...I'm going to have to stop and maybe purchase a few plants.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

The bark of many species of Willow (and Popular) trees contain a chemical, Salicin, which the human body metabolizes into salicylic acid and has been used for 2500 years as a pain suppressant. Was used in the development of the modern day Aspirin in the late 1800's, by Bayer of Germany.
    You can extract it by placing shredded bark in boiling water to make Willow tea. Works as well as Aspirin, if you can tolerate the bitter taste!
    Rb

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Love this post. Those tomato farmers might make a killing this year with the price of groceries.Oh gee!! to be able to buy tomatoes for 50 cents a bushel. I could can them and squirrel them away.

rb is right about the willow asprin tea and rooting tea. I've done the rooting thing but not the asprin thing.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Had to add a note. I was watching something on the History chanel yesterday when a commercial comes on advertizing tomato tree plants 6 for $10.00. Maybe i should plant some more tomatoes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting