Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Springfield Garden Centers

sunnyside1
10 years ago

I'm planning a trip to Springfield before too long to bring some plants home that aren't offered for sale here in Joplin.

Have heard of Wickman's Garden Village on Fort Avenue. And Steinert's Greenhouse. Which of these is more fully stocked and easy to find from I-44? I also realize there is a Wickman's in Monett. Is this a large store?

Thanks for the help --
Sunny

Comments (5)

• helenh
    10 years ago

Wickman's in Monett is smaller than the store in Springfield. There is another greenhouse garden center outside of Monett that sells Pride of the Ozarks products. It is much larger than the Joplin Greenhouse by Food for Less. It has been a while since I was there. When I did go last time, I found some shrubs I liked and loads of bedding plants very healthy and lush. You might ask at Millsaps. I think the place in Diamond, Millsaps, the Monett greenhouse (not Wickman's) and Joplin Greenhouse are all somehow connected.

The Master Gardeners' sale is April 26 at Nathanael Greene Park outside the Springfield Greene County Botanical Center building 2400 S. Scenic(west of Kansas Expressway between Battlefield and Sunshine).. . If you go to that before Wickman's you won't buy anything at Wickman's. That is what happened to me. I was spoiled by the prices at the sale.

This post was edited by helenh on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 20:08

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    9 years ago

Wickman's in Springfield is selling geraniums at half price this coming weekend. They just got the shipment from Stark Brothers this week also. Definitely try to make the April 26th sale but get there as early as possible. It's a biggy.

• mosswitch
    9 years ago

Check out the Ozarks Gardens website, and go to the plant sellers section and you'll find all kinds of places to go in the Springfield area. Plus there are photos of all sorts of great gardens, links to the Springfield Botanic Garden and their blog. I love this site!

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozarks Gardens

• robiniaquest
    9 years ago

The other greenhouse in Monett is callled Boucher's. It is super easy to get to from I-44. You pass right by it on highway H, coming off the Stott's City exit, and passing through Freistatt. Their plants are very nice, and they have a nice selection usually. I haven't been there yet this season, though, and it's still early yet.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! Oboy, it's hard to keep in check, because I need to make sure that what Looks Dead is Really Dead. Cannas, included!

Anyone have cannas starting growth already? Did you think they hadn't made it? (And they DID!) I left the foliage that dropped after the frost to mulch. Hopefully, it was enough with a few more oak leaves.

A nice day trip to Springfield with my dog -- should be fun.
    Sunny

Sunny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?