Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (20)

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Helen -- So you are a frog lover and miniature daffodil lover as well! Your photos are lovely.

I have never heard of winter honeysuckle. I have a feeling your pond will be beautiful. Was that you talking about the toads and "hanky-panky"?? So funny I laughed out loud and startled the cat.

Thank you for sharing the photos.
    Sunny

• southerngardenchick
    15 years ago

Beautiful pictures! Makes me feel better even tho it's sleeting a bit here! How did you post your pics to your talk like that, if you don't mind me asking?

Beth

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Thank you Helen. I'm getting kind of stir-crazy with this colder weather.
    What is the second and third photo?

My pulmonaria and creeping phlox were blooming before this cold snap but I haven't been back outside to see if they still are.

My daughter said there was a tree blooming at Missouri State with little white "daisy like" flowers that was fragrant and I can't think what it would be.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth I have lots of trouble with the pictures. I tried once and they were very small. I will try to figure it out before trying to explain. Christie I have a magnolia blooming; would you daughter think one looks like a daisy? Second and third are winter honeysuckle and viola. The original pictures are large and clear; I have forgotten how to post pictures properly. The winter honeysuckle is a stragley looking shrub but the flowers are usually fragrant. The fragrance wafts when it is warm and more humid. It is too dry. It blooms off and on starting early when we have a few warm days.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This grass is easy to cut in spring because the stalks are thicker and there are not as many as regular miscanthus.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Helen, you have a lot blooming for it being so early and they are all beautiful.

I love the winter honeysuckle. A friend gave me some once, but it never bloomed so I finally dug it out.

Did you do the violas from seed or plants?

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The violas are from plants I bought last fall. Most of my yard is ugly ugly; I looked for the few good spots.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Click to enlarge. Then click full size for the best picture. very wonderfully fragrant buffalo current, flowering quince, daffodils, phlox, violas, very fragrant hyacinths

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

Could the daisy like flowers on the tree be star magnolia?Posy_Pet

• gldno1
    15 years ago

helen, more spring beauties! I need to look up Buffalo current. That is a new one to me. Is it the yellow shrubby one?

For some reason, my grape hyacinths have disappeared this year. I loved them and now just see a very few. I just assumed they lasted forever.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Nice photos! You have a lot of color in your yard.
    What a pretty daffodil. Do you know the name?

Glenda - Hope it's just too early for grape hyacinths. I haven't seen mine either.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I snatched buffalo current from an old home site years ago. I keep trying to increase it but it doesn't spread much. It smells the best of all my spring flowers, but its time of beauty is brief. I put some by the barn where the water from the roof runs off and it has done well there. Yesterday I was weeding around a hyacinth and kneeling on monarda. The combination fragrance was heavenly. The ? daffodil is from a bag at Lowe's years ago. I have some grape hyacinths blooming along my driveway; hadn't seen them until yesterday.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Click to enlarge.

Too much stuff in my yard All the stakes are because the dogs lay on my flowers.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos, Helen -- thank you for the photo of the pond. I think it's going to be lovely when you finish. Are you going to plant around it? Is it in sun or shade?
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I was going through withdrawl not being able to get on the computer for a couple days. So nice to see some spring photos. I don't think my bleeding hearts are blooming yet here. I'm jealous of you pond. I've always wanted one.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

Glenda and Christie, Gophers will eat grape hyacinths and regular hyacinths and just about any bulb (love tulips) except the daffs and naked ladies. That may be what happened. I had a clump of tulips that lasted for over ten years blooming better each year. This year only one little stem came up. There was a void where tulip bulbs should have been.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I missed the last of this thread....sorry. I was happy to check this morning and see more wonderful pictures from Helen!

That last one of the frog and the hosta is just perfect! What a great color combination.

Another question, of course, is the white shrub a viburnum? and what is the blue bloomer in the pot with the heuchera?

I love the color of the quince.

Your pictures make me realize I need more spring bloomers. My viburnums aren't that far advanced and were just planted last year, so I will see what I get this year, maybe not much.

mulberry, if what makes all the runs all over the yard is gophers, then that is what has happened. I had lots of grape hyacinths out front and under the spirea....zip this year! I keep calling them moles. Are we talking about the same varmint?
    Every now and then the dog or cats lay one on the porch.
    I just have one or two little pitiful clumps of grape hyacinths left.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

You got Annie to hold still for a photo! She's sweet. She reminds me of a dog my grandparents had for many years they were so crazy about.

I finally have a little clump of grape hyacinths blooming but I think I'm missing some. I was just thinking the same as Glenda that I need more spring bloomers after seeing your beautiful photos. I love the hyacinths and red tulips together.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The critters that eat things here are voles. Moles push up the soil and make marks in lawns people don't like but I don't have a lawn so they don't bother me. Voles are cute long fat mice with short tails. They make tunnels underground and at the surface. That viburnum is temporarily in a pot for 5 or 6 years. It blooms early poor thing. The purple flowers with the heuchera are more violas. Annie didn't know I had the camera. I turned it on inside and she didn't hear the sound it makes when I turn it on. A second after that picture she went into the scaredy tortured look she gets. All three need Frontline; they is the big battle. They read my mind.