Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Neat weather site

sunnyside1
15 years ago

Here's just the most comprehensive weather information I have found on the web -- this was posted on some GW forum -- It's set for Joplin weather, but you can put your own town in. What I like is the historical information, and it's way more detailed than weather.com IMO.

Sunny

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USMO0457

Comments (9)

• helenh
    15 years ago

Thanks That has everything about weather that you would want to know. I like the temperature graph with the freezing line marked. Looks like after today, the temps will be great. Wet snow here started about noon. I saw evidence of sleet earlier this morning.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

We missed the snow, just got big flakes but didn't last long and none on the ground this morning. I don't think we will drop to 25° either since it is around freezing now at 5:33 AM. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Great moisture for us though.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting that Sunny. I always check more than one forecast when there's a danger of frost or snow predicted or anything like that. This time of year I watch the long term forecast and wonder when the danger of frost really is over. I'm going to make it clickable below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intellicast

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christie -- If you're like me, you're an optimist, have several weather sites on the computer, and believe the one that has the best outcome

Thank you for making that site clickable.

Sunny

• helenh
    15 years ago

I went to the history and clicked on April and then May in the averages. Scroll down and see the record low for each day of the month. This tells me (and Glenda always says this) it is not completely safe until after the first week of May. I am willing to gamble a little but not with coleus and impatiens because they really want it to be 50 over night.

• southerngardenchick
    15 years ago

Sunny,
    I was looking for a good website for weather information! Thanks for that! My local channel's weather forecast is horrible most of the time, they ain't too good at it... LOL!

Helenh,
    Do you mean that it ain't gonna be over fifty overnight untill MAY?? Oh good grief... I was shooting for a plant out date of April 20th.

Beth

• helenh
    15 years ago

According to the historical record lows for Joplin, MO, it can frost or get near frost (I live in a valley) until after the first week in May. You are in zone 7 and you may be on high ground so your date will be earlier. Some plants really can not stand cold weather. Coleus and impatiens and tomatoes are a few. It is best not to put them out early unless you use a wall of water or something. Petunias, snapdragons, pinks, alyssum, and a number of other plants can take a little cold. When you see a long range forecast with no cold in sight, you can put your little pots outside in a protected place before actually putting them in the ground. I will start gradually putting mine out soon in a rusty old cattle tank, but I will bring them in or cover if a cold night is forecast. I can't wait until May either, but sometimes I have to scramble to cover things.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is such good advice. I have decided to not push the season this year. There's plenty of time to garden and I DO remember that by the last of August-first of September I'm entirely sick and tired of plants, watering, heat, weeding, etc., etc. It's hot, the mosquities are biting, and I'm full enough of it. Memories of such GOOD tomatoes, peppers, etc. will last me until the next growing season. I hope to take more photos this year.

I think I'll wait until May. I don't like to worry about anything and planting too early just sets you up for it.

Sunny

• southerngardenchick
    15 years ago

Oh I just got myself a big case of the "NOWS" is all. I don't know why I thought April 20th... Rookie mistake I guess! I did check the history of my area, and I guess it's gonna be May for me too. My plants are gonna be huge by that time... LOL!

Beth