Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryo_gw

Can you help me find this plant? Threadleaf Mahonia

maryo
14 years ago

I went to a lecture by Janet Carson and she mentioned a threadleaf mahonia. She also showed a picture of the plant. Now I want one and can't find it anywhere including the computer. I e-mailed Janet and have gotten no response. I'm sure she's a busy lady.

Has anyone heard of or seen this plant? Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I've never heard of such a thing but did I some searching. There is a new variety called 'Soft Caress' that has thread-like foliage from the descriptions. Sounds like a really cool plant Mary. No wonder you want it. I don't know if it's readily available yet. Here's what comes up on Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mahonia 'Soft Caress'

• maryo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! That's got to be it. So I'll do a print out and take it to the local nursery. I've got to have one!

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

The Novalis website has a blank at the top right where you can put in your zip code to find the nearest nursery that carries their plants. I don't think they'll carry Soft Caress in zone 6 but maybe they'll special order it for you if you ask. It doesn't seem clear what species it is so they may not know yet how hardy it is.

I'm growing mahonia bealei which isn't really hardy in zone 6. It struggled the first few years before it finally started growing. Late freezes are really hard on it so I cover it in spring if the temps drop.
    High Country Gardens has red-berried mahonia that says it's hardy to zone 5 but I'm afraid it's more of a desert plant. I don't know how it would do here.

I enjoyed looking through the photos on your member page Mary. Your yard is a paradise.

• maryo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have creeping mahonia that I planted 3 yrs ago and it is induring. Not creeping, not growing but induring. Even the abelia is almost bare from the harsh winter. So sad. I'm taking in a soil sample today and see if I can perk everyone up.