Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_2100

Hey Everyone.........Any Swaps Going on?

cat_2100
17 years ago

I have been off here for a few years and wanted to say HELLO

to Everyone....

Any swaps scheduleed for this spring? I don't have much yet to trade but I would love to come see what everyone has.

Hopefully by next spring I will have lots of stuff growing.

This year I will only be able to get all the plants I ordered for my yard in and maybe a few tomatos and I'm gonna try gourds this year again. I had a miserable last two years with them although I was not able to get much amended space in what I am calling a garden so most of it was taken up by tomatos.

Has anyone ever heard of a walnut tree doing something to the ground that makes things not want to grow around them?

I had this man explain to me cause he used to live here that he never could grow much here because of all the walnut trees. Well since then I took out a bunch not because he said that but because they always shaded alot of my garden spots and there roots were everywhere in the garden. Was just wondering if anyone else had heard that.

Ok I will quit blabbing now I'm sure you have heard enough lol and its just my first day back here.....hahahhaaha

big huggggggggggggs everyone.

I look forward to reading allyour posts.

Cat

Comments (6)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

hummmm.... will think about this.

;)

• oakleif
    17 years ago

cat,welcome back. No trades going on that i know of. Maybe violet has something up her sleeve.
    I'm doing good raking all the leaves off my spring flower beds to think of trades.
    No, Walnut trees are not good for at least most plants. My neighbor has some and nothing grows under them but they have beautiful flowers not far away from the trees. They have tried growing flowers under them but the flowers never did any good.

Looking forward to seeing you post again.
    Violet I'm going to tell on you. cat, check out violets page and her lists. she is an encyclopedia of gardening info.
    vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Welcome back!
    Some plants are sensitive to a substance called Juglone that comes mostly from the Black Walnut's roots. It stays in the ground even after the trees are cut down. Tomatoes are supposed to be one of the most difficult things to grow. There are lots of plants that will grow just fine and several websites with lists of plants that are either tolerant or intolerant of juglone. A raised bed with good drainage will help so don't give up yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: google search on

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

oakleif,

Oh no,! Don't say that! My page is outdated and somewhere in that changeover that GW did, they lost all my links! So now it doesn't make since and I'd have to really look to dig to see if I even have a copy anywhere...

Sigh! I pretty much hang out in the Vegetable Forum.

What happened when GW changed over anyway? I missed what sounds like was a pretty big mess.

As for a swap... how about meeting out at the Nathaniel Greene park in Springfield on either of these days?

Sunday, April 22 at Noon-? (Earth Day appropriately enough)
    Sunday, May 6 at Noon-?

We can vote on a day and narrow it down to a pavillion, probably the one on the North side of the park that has a parking lot somewhat close to it. Not sure if they have to be reserved. You'd definitely have to bring a chair.

Everyone can "bring a dish" get plants potted up, plan trades (wait for me! my plants are barely up yet!)

It's also just a few yards away from the MG Demonstration Gardens so eveyone can mill around at their leisure.

If you have extra pots or gardening tools you no longer need, you can drop them off so the MG volunteers can use them for the gardens to it might be a good time to do some spring cleaning.

But we can work on details later.

It's been a while since I've seen you guys...
    what d'ya think? Sound like a plan?

Let's start voting on a date!

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Both of those days are blank on my calendar so far. I think that would be a great place to meet so everyone can walk around the gardens at Nathaniel Greene and Close Park if they want to. I think there are picnic tables if we can't get the pavilion. If I remember right, you're not allowed to reserve it. You just have to get there first. ???

• oakleif
    17 years ago

violet, i'm so sorry about you losing your links you had some really great stuff. It has'nt been long since i found something i was looking for though.

I missed out on the big changeover. I got a new computer and it took forever to get it going right and i still may have to replace it.

I'm going to tell my neighbor about raised beds under walnut trees. He was a rock mason and has made some great beds for her.
    vickie

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio