Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

winter honeysuckle

helenh
14 years ago

This is blooming now and smells wonderful.

Comments (9)

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

helen- exactly what is winter honeysuckle and is it invasive?

william

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It isn't invasive here. It is carefree except that it is not an attractive shrub. Neat freaks might be bothered by its look. To me it is the most garden like thing in my garden because of the smell. This Garden Web won't let me send you to where you can find the information you need. I tried to make a link and it said something about bad bad site and spam.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, I lost the name with the lost link.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

This is Mobot's page for Lonicera fragrantissima. Is that the same one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera fragrantissima

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

looks like it. i did a google. the info said it was invasive in the mid alantic states.
    william

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I wish I could smell it! I have now planted two honeysuckles.........no fragrance on either....They may have to go.

There is nothing that smells fresher or better than honeysuckle.

Lucky you.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

William I have had it for years and I have it spaced around my yard so I will have fragrance wafting. It has done well where I have cared for it but has not spread. If a small plant comes up near its parent I feel fortunate and move it so I will have more. I have another honeysuckle shrub that is not fragrant and that has berries; I have read that is invasive some places. I don't notice this one getting berries. It is full of busy bees so would not be good if you have a problem with that.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

It seems like that would be a good plant for early hummingbirds. I looked at the bloom data on Mobot's website and it looks like it varies quite a bit.

I have the Japanese Honeysuckle that's so invasive but not on purpose. I spray it every year and it comes back. Nothing smells better. It's a shame it gets so out of control.

I planted Dropmore Scarlet and Alabama Crimson. Both of those are supposed to be well-behaved and they bloom a looong time. Hummingbirds like them both and the flowers are colorful but not fragrant. Click on Bloom Data at Mobot's site below to see how long Alabama Crimson blooms.

I've seen another one recommended that IS fragrant called Gold Flame. It has a long bloom time and I think is supposed to be well-behaved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lonicera Sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That color is wonderful. Reading the links I see my shub is supposed to have berries. I never notice berries or any coming up from seed. Maybe the birds eat them. When it spreads it is shoots that come up from the side of the mature shub. I have burning bush coming up all over from seed; it is invasive. Japanese h. is terrible. I planted it and it is my fault. It is on the banks of my pond and in the field from where I planted it. The bad thing is it doesn't all bloom. It makes a thick ground cover.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company