Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aznative40

Relocating to region

aznative40
17 years ago

I will be moving to the area around Galena,Hurley, Crane area and would like input on how gardening is different there. Here we have summer temps of 100-107 with low humidity ( 10% or so). I grow vegetables and such...Really wondering how the 'hot weather' plants will do I.E. peppers and tomatoes.

Comments (7)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

They'll do better than where you are now I suspect if those are your temps. It's lower temps here but higher humidity. Tomatoes and peppers do great here. Just keep in mind that when temps reach 96F degrees they tend to go dormant and not set any more fruit until temps go back down again. It's their survival mechanism.

This should help: Check with your Missouri's Extension Service. Each county should have it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking. They will have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area determined by universities, and horticultural research scientists have collected data from growing those crops in your state.

See how detailed these examples are:

{{gwi:4005}}

Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf) complete with spring and fall planting dates (underneath the spring planting dates for appropriate crops), how much to plant per person, etc. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area.

Here is an excerpt:
    {{gwi:9795}}

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Welcome aznative, Prepare to be in a different world. One i hope you'll enjoy. After living in an arid or semi-arid region you'll think you're in a jungle for awhile. Once you get started gardening you'll find a larger amount of things you can grow. Will you be in the country or town?

Keep us updated and we'll help all we can and you'll probably give us new ideas too.
    vickie

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Welcome to the Ozarks aznative.

Yes, it will be a different climate for you. Propbably the humidity will be a bother, but you can get used to it. You can grow almost anything here except, of course, citrus. Tomatoes and peppers do great.

Feel free to ask questions anytime. Many of us are natives to the area and have lots of experience.

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Az, I am a native southern Idahoan, and when we moved here 30 years ago the humidity really hurt me. I am finally getting used to it! The ticks and chiggers bothered me even more. :-(
    One of my DH's younger cousins married an Arizona girl. She has lived here about 20 years and apparently loves it.
    I hope you do too.
    It is a beautiful part of the U.S.A.

• christie_sw_mo
    17 years ago

Welcome Aznative. Hope you love the Ozarks. Lots of people grow tomatoes here and peppers too, so you shouldn't have any trouble. Will you have lots of room to garden?

• genea
    17 years ago

Whenever I think of high humidity I just think of when I go see my family in MS or get off the plane in Houston and almost faint!:) What are you people talking about? LOL

• oakleif
    17 years ago

genea, are you from around here anywhere? I don't think we're near as bad as Houston or MISS
    humidity wise but still bad enough.LOL!! welcome to the ozarks.
    vickie