Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antbeez6

White peaches

antbeez6
15 years ago

Hello all. I am thinking about getting a white peach tree to put in a large pot on my deck here in Kansas City. I was wondering if anybody had experience with various cultivars and had any suggestions both positive and/or negative. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Hi, Antbreeze -- My parents had a Loring peach tree or two here and they did well. I think they were probably standards, but perhaps you could find Loring in dwarf size at Stark Brothers Nursery in Louisiana, Mo. Check the internet for a web page. Daddy bought all his fruit trees from them.
    Loring is a very light-fleshed, juicy peach and it was my very favorite.
    Good luck -
    Sunny

• pauln
    15 years ago

A few things to consider: A peach tree is still a tree, whether dwarf or standard. You'll need a huge pot for it to thrive. And also remember that containerized plants are more suseptable to extreme cold than those in the ground, and they also dry out quicker in summer.

But, the main point to think about is peaches are really hobby plants. They require intensive spraying for fungus and bugs. Your local extension office can fill you in on spray schedules, but fruit trees, especially peaches are not something that you merely plant and wait a couple of months with your bushell basket ready to commence picking. You will also need to train the tree with pruning. Now, there are organic alternatives to the chemicals. These include sticky traps and organic sprays for disease. You'll also need at least 6 hours of sun on this plant. Of course, things that are sunny now may not be sunny when the trees overhead leaf out.

But, no matter how you approach it, you're looking at a concerted effort on your part to have any success with peaches. Also, consider if you want to be spraying insecticides on your deck.

Sorry to be so negative, but you may want to consider something that's easier to grow. It's all an equasion, and I certainly grow things that are somewhat difficult. But for peaches, I let someone else do it and visit a pick-your-own or buy them at the Farmer's Market.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Welcome Antbeez
    I don't have any experience growing peaches. I've checked into it and was discouraged by the same type of things that Paul mentioned and also my father's lack of good luck growing peaches. We have a tough time with late frosts here in SW Missouri. I don't know if KC is the same though.

I will post a link to articles on peaches at the University
    of Missouri website. They have a wealth of info specific to Missouri. One of the articles recommended Belle of Georgia (a white peach) but didn't mention whether it would do well in a container.

You also might want to call your local Master Gardener hotline and see if there happens to be a Master Gardener in your area that knows a lot about peaches.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Missouri Extension - Peaches

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, I do have a few problems with peaches, there's 7 early ones blooming now, but the biggest , for me anyhow, is brown rot. This is easily controlled, they say, LOL, by removing mummies each year--which would be a lot easier if they WERE in a pot.
    Stark catalog has "small space fruit" such as Sensation minature Peach, Honeyglow minature nectarine and a ornamental peach. They also have "Colonade Apples"which, they say, are perfect for skinny places.
    The peach AND the nectarine, along with fertilizer are less than $50.
    Grow away, and Good Luck

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor