Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast growing privacy screen

Posted by roadrunner8383 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 15:40

My husband and I bought our first house last year. I really like the house, but I hate our backyard because it does not have any privacy. It is sloped and so our neighbors on all sides can see into our yard. There is also a small creek behind my yard that makes the soil that runs along the back of my fence extremely moist.

I would like to plant something fast growing that would provide some privacy. I have been considering green giant arborvitae and also bamboo.

I am worried that if I was to get a clumping bamboo that the height would not provide enough privacy, and it would also take years for it to fill in. I was considering a Fargesia Robusta for clumping. I know that there are some running Phyllostachys varieties that would provide a privacy screen sooner, but I don't know which one would be best for NWA zone and not overtake my yard (or my neighbors' yards). Although, I doubt my neighbors would care as they aren't really into upkeep. Yet enough reason I would like a privacy screen.

Anyone in the NWA area have luck with the Green Giant Arborvitae or Bamboo for privacy screens?

Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast growing privacy screen

photo CloseMemorialParkandMasterGardenersDemoGardenSpringfield054.jpgThere are other grasses besides bamboo that would be good fast screening. Most have to be cut back in spring, but they grow up fast. Grasses are cheaper than evergreen plants usually. I have a giant reed grass that I think is attractive, but I am already sorry I planted it. I think it will spread and invade. Bamboo can cause problems. Other grasses are tall enough and common enough to give you privacy. Click on this photo and see if it will go to my album. Nathanael Greene Close Memorial park in Springfield, MO has a beautiful grass garden.

o
this is already spreading

wild garden photo August202013028_zpsc6cacbe9.jpgThis is my giant reed grass and I am afraid bamboo would also be something that you would regret. I like the look of this grass but now I am using a pick to remove some of it because I can see that it will spread too fast and take over. I like giant miscanthus. I can control it.2010 first snow photo January2010003.jpgGiant miscanthus in winter - pretty easy to cut back in spring and then it grows up again.

This post was edited by helenh on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 19:07

o

Great pictures Helen. Thanks for posting. We also are looking for something for screening and noise abatement from a busy road.
so, so ready for spring
bethb

o

I'm interested in something similar but would like evergreen, suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here