Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Kohlrabi?

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

Wal-Mart had 9 packs of Kohlrabi plants and therefore I bought a pack. Never mind that I don't know what it is or how to grow it. lol

Has anyone else grown it? Eaten it?

I came home and Googled it and found out it's a cool weather plant so I hope I'm not already a little late to put it out.

Do you think it would it be helpful to put it where it will get some afternoon shade?

I found this blog when I was searching for info and it just so happens that it was written by someone in Missouri.

Here is a link that might be useful: In My Kitchen Garden

Comments (8)

• soonergrandmom
    16 years ago

I have grown it a couple of times. I plant it about the same time as broccoli and cabbage in early spring. It looks funny while it is growing but I actually like the taste of it and I eat it raw.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well my kohlrabi is looking pretty sad. I planted out nine and only have five left. I think the heavy rains we had took out at least a couple. I can't tell that the survivors have put out any new growth yet but at least they're hanging on.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up with four plants and harvested my first Kohlrabi yesterday. I made an itty bitty blender-full of Kohlrabi Puree using the recipe from the blog above. I didn't have any mushrooms and I had to modify the other ingredients since I only had one kohlrabi. My blender rolled its eyes at me and I had to add extra water just to get it to work, so I'm not sure what I ended up with tasted the way it was supposed to, but most of it is still in a bowl in my fridge. : ( It wasn't awful but I think I'll just eat the next one raw - less calories and less dirty dishes. I hate having to wash the blender.

My three remaining plants are starting to form a bulb. I think I waited too long on the first one. I chunked it up and boiled it for 15 minutes but the peel was still tough as leather so I peeled it off before I added the chunks to the blender. The stems were also very tough so I tossed those. The puree recipe in the blog uses the leaves also so the stuff turned out quite green. No one else in my family offered to try it and I didn't have the heart to make them. lol

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

while i can't help with this, never raised any. same thing happened to me but it is florence fennel. don't have a clue on what to do. google time i guess.

william

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie, thanks for letting us know....I was thinking about trying some....believe I will pass.

I am doing eggplant for the first time....it may be the same thing for us. Time will tell. It is a bug magnet!

• adaiah
    15 years ago

Our garden took a beating with all these storms too. The tornado didn't help matters. I moved my eggplants and peppers to a sunnier location near the apartment and they seem to be doing better. Maybe it will help your guys too?

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, I'm just the other way around!! I tried it for the first time this year--- Now I'm wondering why I wasted all these years! I absolutely love it, I only eat it raw, peeled of course. I was told it tasted a lot like turnips, which I also eat raw, and I have trouble growing turnips (root worms) but these are soo much better tasting than turnips.
    I'm going to start plants for a fall crop.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

adaiah

Are you still tuned into theis thread. If so could you tell me how your.

"Kumquat trees from grocery purchase?"

Did and if they are still doing well

The provided link opens up my google images of my "seed grown meiwa kumquat tree plant." just follow the instruction on the forehead of the smiling cactus and use you left arrow key on your key board. To see a photobucket display click on the image below

{{gwi:569382}}

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/profile/5830861056690422626?banner=pwa

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA