helenh
13 years ago

Master Gardener Plant Sale Saturday, April 24, in Springfield

Posted on April 21, 2010 by George Deatz

Information provided by

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI EXTENSION

SOUTHWEST REGION NEWS SERVICE

Master Gardener Plant Sale Saturday, April 24, in Springfield

The annual Master Gardener Plant Sale in Greene County will start at 7:30 a.m., Saturday, April 24, in a tent at the back of Nathanael Greene Park, 2400 S. Scenic, Springfield, Mo.

Members of the Master Gardeners of Greene County gather plants to sell from their own gardens and from the two city gardens that Master Gardeners maintain.

The quality is excellent and the prices are real bargains. Those factors have made this annual event very popular among area gardeners.

People are advised to arrive early if they want the best choices of shrubs, small trees, bulbs, perennials, annuals, grasses, ground covers, houseplants and garden related items. The sale continues until the plants are sold out.

The fundraiser helps Master Gardeners enhance city gardens and continue the group�s mission of providing gardening information to the public by providing free seminars, literature and help.

Last year, members in the Master Gardeners of Greene County chapter gave more than 12,000 hours in volunteer service.

For more information about the sale in Greene County, contact the Greene County Extension Center at (417) 862-9284

Comment (1)

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am a little confused but I think I may have the correct year this time. Since I am confused you should check for yourself, but don't miss it because I got good stuff cheap last time I went. I got there late and they had reduced the price to half price. I missed it last year because of a family reunion, so I looked it up to see when it was and got last year's info.

13th Annual Master Gardener Plant Sale : Master Gardeners of Greene County : April 30

13 Annual

Master Gardener Plant Sale

hosted by
    Master Gardeners of Greene County

Saturday, April 30, 7:30 am

Each year members of the Master Gardener program gather thousands of plants to sell from their own gardens and from the Master Gardener demonstration gardens. Customers return annually because the plants have already been growing in this area so they're more hardy, and have a better chance of doing well than plants from other sources. The quality is excellent and the prices are real bargains.

Over the years, the plant sale �" which begins at 7:30 a.m. and continues until the plants are sold out �" has become very popular among area gardeners. Arrive early for the best selection. The event is like a garage sale for plant lovers.

The fundraiser enables the organization to maintain the public demonstration gardens and to serve the public by providing quality educational programs and aid the University of Missouri Greene County Extension Service in garden related questions.

Saturday, April 30, 2011
    Starts at 07:30 AM

Cost:
    Free to Attend

2400 South Scenic Ave
    Springfield, MO 65807
    USA

Phone:
    417-864-1049
    417-864-1049

Nathanael Greene Park covers 59 acres of land received as surplus property from the U.S. Department of the Interior and Bureau of Prisons in 1975. Over the years, the land has been gradually developed to include the Mizumoto Japanese Stroll Garden, the Gray-Campbell Farmstead and University of Missouri Extension's Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens.

The park is named after Nathanael Greene (August 7, 1742 �" June 19, 1786) who was a major general of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War. When the war began, Greene was a militia private, the lowest rank possible; he emerged from the war with a reputation as George Washington's most gifted and dependable officer. Many places in the United States are named for him including Greene County (Greene County, organized in 1833) and Nathanael Greene Park which is now owned and operated by the Springfield-Greene County Park Board.

Known as Nathanael Greene:Close Memorial Park the 114 acres share the main entrance from Scenic Ave. and is the location for the new $4.3 million dollar Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center

Event Contact Info
    Univ of Missouri Greene County Master Gardeners
    Email:
    greenemg@missouri.edu
    Phone:

Nathanael Greene/Close Memorial Park
    2400 South Scenic Ave
    Springfield, MO 65807

S