Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Have you put up your hummingbird feeders yet?

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

It's time to put up hummingbird feeders. We haven't had any sitings in my area yet but they're scattered around both north and south of me so it won't be long. (I hope)

Here's a link to a map that shows where they've been spotted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Migration Map

Comments (20)

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

thanks christie. i was going to ask that question!

william

• kaye
    17 years ago

I've been meaning to since spring is so early this year..April 8 has been the earliest I've seen them. I swear I saw one flying thru the other day. Feeders go up in the morning!

• beerhog
    17 years ago

I have had mine out a few days now. I have not seen any yet but the maps shows that people have.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

I have a date i copied several years ago that they are due here on April 18th but it seems like they come earlier each year. DD will have to get her feeders out when she gets back from MISS.
    vickie

• ceresone
    17 years ago

Sis has kept records for years, hummingbirds ALWAYS come within a day or two of the whipporwills. EXCEPT this year.
    I heard the whipporwills march 25, and put feeders up, none yet. earliest I've ever had them was April 1 so thats when feeders go up anyway. watching closely today--none yet.
    have bumblebees big as the hummingbirds tho--makes me look twice......

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

you are correct, bumblebees are all over the place. chiggers [ last three weeks ], grasshoppers , wasps and monarch butterflies have been showing up the last 2 days.
    feeder goes out tomorrow.

are bluebirds starting to nest????????????

william- yellville

• ceresone
    17 years ago

Yes, I have bluebirds trying to untie my garden stakes--I need to put out yarn pieces I guess...

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Hmmm, now I am getting even more concerned! We haven't seen or heard a hummingbird or whippoorwill yet this spring ! We usually have them by now. There are certainly enough flowers in my yard for the hummingbirds...even the honeysuckles are blooming.

Thanks for the map, Christie.

I mowed some of our yard today for the first time this year. A lot of it isn't big enough to need mowed yet.

• genea
    17 years ago

Oh great. I never knew when to put it up until I saw them. Now they won't have to wait.

• jaceysgranny
    17 years ago

I put mine up last week and my DH saw the first one Sunday. I saw my first one today. I'm so glad they're back.

Haven't had any chiggers yet my DH has had several ticks already.

Nancy

• kaye
    17 years ago

Had the first hummer today at the feeder..haven't heard the whipporwills yet.

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

guess everyone took in their feeders because of the cold?

william

• kaye
    17 years ago

No, I left mine out but it's on the kitchen window and didn't freeze. The sugar helps keep them from freezing, too. We had a hummer stay with us one winter and he'd be at the window early in the morning, waiting for us to bring his feeder back out. He stayed until the middle of January. The cutest sight was watching him try to fly between snowflakes! By the way, I had taken all the feeders down when he showed up in November, so I put one back out for him as he seemed determined to stay.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We saw our first hummingbird yesterday coming to one of our feeders. There isn't much blooming in my yard right now, only some creeping phlox, woodland phlox and candytuft. I don't think any of those are hummingbird plants but I have seen a couple butterflies going to the phlox.
    Kaye - I've heard of them sticking around in the winter for awhile but have never seen one. Maybe some of the early arrivers are ones that don't really leave.

• sweetwm007
    17 years ago

is anyone seeing any hummers other then ruby throated?

william- who is hummer dumb!

• oakleif
    17 years ago

DD had her first hummers yesterday,4 of them. She did'nt have her feeders up and they buzzed her kitchen window till she put a feeder out.
    vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They must've remembered from last year Vickie. I believe they return to the same spot every year.
    I bought a few plants for the hummingbirds. Orchlein's in Republic had hanging baskets of red verbena on sale for $7.50. I got one for my mother and one for myself. Wal-Mart and Lowe's in north Spfd both had annual red salvia on clearance so I got a couple six packs of that too. I couldn't find any 'Lady in Red' like I got there last year. I think they like it better than the common salvia splendens that they always have. Hoping they'll get some in later.
    If anyone sees 'Black and Blue' anywhere, let me know. I'd like to get one of those. Lowe's had it last year but they were out already when I checked.

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Christie, I am looking for Black and Blue for my sis too. I think mine has returned for the third year, at least, something is coming up there I don't recognize yet. Sure hope that's what it is.

I checked with Dorothy's this morning and she didn't have any.
    If you locate any, let us know.

• Ginge
    17 years ago

I have not seen any in my yard yet not much blooming just the honeysuckle , I have my feeders up :) Gin

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Our neighbor called two days ago and saw a hummer so we put out our feeders and the next day had one! DH saw it; I still haven't but the feeder is down about an inch of nectar.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor