Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taz6122

New to Ozark Region Gardening

taz6122
14 years ago

Hi y'all!

My name is John and new to this forum. I've been on GW for about a year and just found y'all from my neck of the woods. My first post was on Butterfield Stage as I live on Butterfield Coach Rd. I've had basic veggie gardens for years but due to becoming disabled, I've had to do something with all this time and little mobility so last year I started growing all sorts of plants and now I have the BUG. I grew Cannas, Coleus, Celosia, Caladiums, Purple majesty millet, Blue vitex, Scarlet sage, Aloe vera, Alocasia, Colacasia, Snapdragons and morning glorys just to name a few along with several types of carnivorous plants last year and have managed to keep many of the more tropicals alive through the winter'so far'. My temperate carnivorous plants are sleeping in the crisper drawer of the frige. I live by myself in a one br house and it is wall to wall with plants with a narrow walkway through the house. Last year I said I would not do this again but I have once again underestimated germination rate and just can't throw them out. When spring gets here(soon I hope) I will plant what I have room for and give away and/or sell the rest. I sold about half of the extras last year at a garage sale my friend had and I think the colors brought business in for them also. It seemed like people flocked in after I brought the plants over. We'll be doing the same this year and I might have a couple yard sales myself also. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to hear about your experiences and share mine here in the Ozarks. Happy growing y'all.

John

Comments (12)

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

Hi John, hope to see you here often. Use the March journal to tell us about your daily growing experiences.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Well I guess you are a gardener; there are worse obsessions.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Welcome John! Glad you found the Ozarks forum.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

John, I am so glad you found gardening and the forum. You are very welcome here.

Please keep us updated regularly on what is happening in your gardening world.

Glenda

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Since you're short on space indoors, you may also want to check out the Winter Sowing forum for starting seeds outside. I'll link you to a brief description of winter sowing that's on their FAQ page. It's a good way to use up extra seeds.
    Will you have a vegetable garden this summer?

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Winter Sow

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Welcome, John. Keep us posted on your progress.

SWMO Your Coleus are beautiful. I have a couple pots on a shelf in a bathroom in front of a frosted window. Not nearly enough light but at least they lived. The ones I kept in the bright light on the glassed porch last winter succumbed to the cold and died. Now that it's warmer, these are going out where I hope they color up and get bushier.

• carrieb806
    14 years ago

Nice to meet you, John. I look forward to reading about your gardening adventures!

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Welcome to the group, John. I stop in nearly every day but don't necessarily post too often. I know how you feel, I hate to see my babies freeze in the winter. I have a bunch in every window. I've been talking to them every day and tell them hold on. It won't be long now. Even if I have lost a few of them. I have all my winter sown jugs on the deck waiting for sprouts. Garages are fun and I am getting tired of wait on them too. Kathy

• taz6122
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Welcome! I've been pretty busy taking cuttings and getting rid of the Mother plants. WOW that sounds bad! but gotta make room for all the seedlings. Got a few tomato plants started, yellow pear, cherry and a Hybrid of my own that I think is a cross between a grape and roma that has all the meat and twice as sweet, lol, along with some Painted Tongue, Johnny jump up, Purple Majesty Millet, Morning Glory, Cypress vine, Canna and many Caladium, Alocasia, Colacasia and Canna bulbs. Also managed to propagate a few Coleus, Flame vine, Impatiens, Vitex and Passiflora incarnata and still have many seeds and bulbs to plant. I would take some pictures now but everyone would think I'm a slob. It's impossible to clean house with this many plants and two Persian cats. I can't wait to get all these plants on the deck and in the ground so I can clean house.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I won't think you are a slob.

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

Welcome to the comfy company of the Ozark gardeners. They will certainly make you feel right at home. It sounds like you will just fit right in around here.
    Nancy

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Oh, John, Gardeners usually are slobs. Gardening is fun; housecleaning is not, so guess where we spend our time. And for you gardeners who are also good housekeepers, I apologize for painting all with one brush. I'm speaking for myself, y'know

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio