Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_z6

Urban Chicken Keeping Group

Violet_Z6
15 years ago

Springfield Urban Chickeneers Group

(Springfield Metro, MO)

Feel free to join the group if you are currently keeping or are considering keeping pet chickens in the Springfield Metro area. There are also members outside of the area who enjoy frequenting the group.

Here is the city ordinance from the Springfield City Code Online. It is in Part II, Chpt 18, Art. 1, Sec. 18-24. The website is: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=11598&sid=25

Remember that your subdivision can have special covenants & restrictions that may prevent fowl keeping. You can get a copy of any C&R from the title company where you closed on your home. (I spent almost a decade as a Realtor; if you need help, email me offline).

Sec. 18-24. Keeping of fowl.

(a) No person shall keep chickens or other domestic fowl in any pen having an area of less than 144 square feet or the exterior boundary of which is less than 50 feet at the nearest point from the dwelling of another, a church, a school or a place of business of another. If more than 12 chickens or other fowl are kept in a pen, the pen shall have an area equal to 12 square feet for each chicken or other fowl kept in such pen.

(b) No person shall keep 25 or more chickens, chicks or other domestic fowl in a battery located in a building or structure unless the battery is located more than 50 feet at the nearest point from any dwelling of another, church, school or place of business of another. Not more than 24 chickens, chicks or other domestic fowl may be kept in a battery located inside a building or structure if the battery is more than 25 feet from the dwelling of another, a church, a school or a place of business of another. This subsection shall not apply to any lawfully operated hatchery.

(c) All batteries shall be constructed in such manner as to prevent droppings from falling on the ground or floor.

(Code 1981, ç 5-18)

Comments (8)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

We bought a 10 acre lot that was part of a large farm that was broken up into several lots. We're a few miles from the city limits but there were still restrictions when we purchased the land. There were limits on livestock and we're not supposed to have chickens at all. It only takes one neighbor to complain and I can think of one who probably would in our neighborhood, although I've thought about trying it. We got the kids two chicks for Easter one year but only kept them for awhile and then moved them to Grandma and Grandpa's farm.

I really think it's good for kids to experience things like that. My kids still love gathering eggs at their grandparents' and seeing the baby chickens.

• kcmouse
    15 years ago

I am very interested in keeping a few chickens in Spfd. I checked with the city zoning, they said NO!. There is a section around page 16 of the zoning ordinance that states you must have 20 acres to have any farm animals, incl. poultry. I wonder if the city code or the zoning ordinance takes precedence??

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I'm not sure but I think how long you've owned the property can make a difference if you're inside the city limits. If you have a "farm" inside the city limits and that land changes hands, new restrictions may apply.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I just noticed you're a new member kcmouse. Welcome! I'm close to Springfield but outside the city limit line which is creeping this way. So the kc is not for Kansas City?
    Depending on the neighborhood, I think I would be tempted to just get a few and hope the neighbors wouldn't turn me in. Do you have a privacy fence? If they were in sight of the neighbors or if you had a rooster, I'm sure they would notice and complain.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, I'm in the country, so it dont apply--but one line bothers me!
    How do you "housebreak" a hen, to not go on the floor?
    Sorry--just a country lady, with non-housebroken chickens.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Ceresone - Do you seriously have a chicken in the house? lol
    When we got the Easter chicks, we kept them in the house in a box with a light. I couldn't believe the mess they made overnight when they learned to get out. We had to move them to a taller box. One turned out to be a rooster but the other, a hen, got to be so gentle from being handled by the kids. She continued to be a "pet" even after we moved her to Grandma and Grandpa's and we made a little headstone for her when she died of old age.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Not anymore--but I did--3 years ago. I had 2 pens in the dining room--course, they had a floor-but I had over 100 babies too.
    You'd never believe how sweet they were-from Day one! My husband must rest for a hour or two every afternoon. Not a peep out of the babies, every day, they took a nap under the heat lights at this time.
    The coffee pot came on auto,in the early mornings and you could see a little chick on top of the waterer, watching down the hall, for him to get up. It would let out a cheep--then they would all start stirring.
    If I hadnt been there, I wouldnt have believed it-guests would come in--and not believe there were chickens in the house, it was soo quiet.
    But--after about a week, or was it 2? they moved to their own house. Even the Cat missed them.
    I've sold down to about 25-30, felt like a traitor--is it any wonder I no longer butcher chickens?
    This is a book, betcha you didnt expect such a long answer!! LOL
    P.S. BTW, they have a floor in their house now, still not "housebroken"

• kcmouse
    15 years ago

Hi, Christie & Ceresone. Thanks for the welcome. I have enjoyed your chicken anecdotes. I have not really been around chickens and need to do more research before I do anything, but I am tempted to get a few as you suggested.
    The idea of fresh eggs appeals to me.
    My neighborhood is older and lower end(but lots of rehab going on). I don't think most people would mind, but there's always got to be one complainer.
    I'm sure there is someone out there bending the rules a bit.
    I'd like to hear from you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting